Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tragic loss of animal life in Siberian mall fire
We know that many people, children included have died in a mall fire in Siberia. Something I never thought about and just learned is the presence of animals in the mall. There was a children's zoo with over 200 animals. None of them survived.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...SWj7Pt8yOg

Clearly there was no real thought about fire safety for the people visiting the mall. I would hazard a guess and say that no one made an evacuation plan for the animals either. I don't know what kind in inquests or investigations will be taking place, but I hope one thing they will consider is the fate of the animals. No thought was given to their safety and they paid for it with their lives. 
The death of children is going to be the big thing considered, but that shouldn't lessen our concern for animals who were in human care and totally dependent on them. We put the animals there, we should have made sure they were safe.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-29-2018, 02:42 PM)Catherine Wrote: We put the animals there, we should have made sure they were safe.

Quite right, Catherine. This tragedy has fuelled a massive public reaction in Russia, so one hopes that the animals will not be overlooked totally in the investigation which will surely follow. Mind you, I have occasionally seen fire doors blocked in buildings in the UK (e.g. in shops to prevent shoplifters walking out or setting off fire alarms).
There have been some terrible tragedies because of blocked fire doors. People still don't take this seriously no matter how many people have died as a result.

Fire doors and fire alarms may have made a difference to the human victims of the mall fire, but I suspect the animals would still have died. I doubt they had a fire safety plan for the animals.

I hope the inquest determines what caused the fire. I think we have a right to know. If you understand what causes fires it is easier to prevent fires. Prevention is still the best way to protect life.
Catherine

Catherine, I read on the BBC that it started (whether by accident or on purpose remains to be seen) by a child playing with a cigarette lighter in the children's area.
How sad and tragic for those poor animals. I wonder -did the fire take hold very rapidly? Or were there no proper evacuation procedures? There should have been a plan to get the animals out in case of fire. I can understand if it was unavoidable and the fire spread very quickly. Look what happened in Manchester Dogs' Home.

My thoughts and prayers for all those animals' Souls, and for the people/children who died, and their families.
Quote:Catherine, I read on the BBC that it started (whether by accident or on purpose remains to be seen) by a child playing with a cigarette lighter in the children's area.

If a child started it then the child wouldn't have understood the fully what would happen if they were playing with a lighter.

I think the fire did spread rapidly, but the place should have been built so a fire couldn't spread. There also should have been alarms and sprinkler systems. I think they will find there were design flaws that let the fire spread quickly. It shouldn't be possible to lock a fire exit and they should be designed so that they can't be blocked. 

Places where animals are kept should have a plan to look after the animals if there is a fire or any other emergency. 

I had to look up the Manchester Dog Home Fire. I had forgotten about that. The fire must have spread quickly because they did an amazing job of rescuing dogs. The buildings were older weren't they?  The mall was new and should have been built to strict fire safety codes. Either that wasn't done or the safety codes were not good enough. Either way the loss of life, human and animal was unacceptable.
Catherine