Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii bans sunscreens that harm coral reefs
The coral reefs around Hawaii have been dying and it has been determined that the chemicals in sun screen are part of the problem. So Hawaii has taken the bold step of banning those sunscreen products that contain the dangerous chemicals.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/...IKg&adurl=

This is very forward thinking. The coral reefs are important to the health of the ocean. This might force manufacturers   to produce products that are safe for the oceans. Now we can hope that all countries with coral reefs to protect will follow their example.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good move Hawaii!

Those sunscreens are basically quite toxic but I didn't know they were causing such damage to the coral reefs. Then of course, if they do that to corals, what do they do to other marine life? Who would think the sunscreen that washes off when people swim in the ocean, or that which goes into the sewage system would cause such problems? It's all about a tiny amount of toxin multiplied a million times I suppose.
Quote:Those sunscreens are basically quite toxic but I didn't know they were causing such damage to the coral reefs. Then of course, if they do that to corals, what do they do to other marine life? Who would think the sunscreen that washes off when people swim in the ocean, or that which goes into the sewage system would cause such problems? It's all about a tiny amount of toxin multiplied a million times I suppose.
I think the problem is many tourists  in a small part of the ocean at the same time all wearing sunscreen, repeated day after day.

The concentration of chemicals would be greater around the island than in the open ocean. The coral live in the ocean around the island.

Banning sunscreen is the only thing they could do.
I think sunscreen is dangerous. I don't trust the chemicals in it. It is something I never wear.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine