Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High fiving cats!
Cats high fiving have been popping up on the internet. This is because there is a program called Cat Pawsitive that is making the round of the animal shelters. It is a training program that teaches cats in shelters to do tricks in particular to give people a high five with its paw. The idea is to make the cats seem more appealing to people and increase their chances of adoption.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/pets/a...high-five/

It seems the program is working. Cats are getting adopted. Anything that helps a shelter cat find a home is a good thing. For a shy cat it might be just enough to get it noticed by a potential family. I admire the patience of the people who are training the cats. It must take a lot to get the cats to respond at first. 

The Cat Pawsitive is the brainchild of Jackson Galaxy, host of Animal Planet's show "My Cat From Hell".
I haven't actually watched the show, but now I am curious to see the person who can actually train a cat.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Aw! High five-ing cats! How interesting. It's funny how such a little thing can make such a difference to their chances of adoption. There are those who are happy to accept cats for what they are and not wish to train them. But for others, they would be charmed by this and I can see it tipping the balance in the cat's favour.

In my experience yes, cats can be trained to some extent at least. But you have to get it just right with them. It has to be worth their while.
Sally was on her way to investigate a box high up on a shelf, where the house owner keeps precious heirlooms of irreplaceable china all wrapped carefully. I said "No!"....didn't even have to raise my voice, and she looked at me and got away from there pronto. Then she looked back as if to say she knew exactly what I meant. I only ever said that once before to her over that box, so she remembered quite clearly. They are bright.
I think the shy cats don't get noticed and they can sit at the shelter for years. These are wonderful, dignified, loving cats, but they just seem to be invisible to adoptive families. Teaching a shy cat even one trick that will get them noticed could make all the difference. People mean well when they come to adopt a cat. It is just natural to respond to the cat that is responding to you.

Shelters do all kinds of things to get animals noticed. They put black cats on pink blankets so they stand out. They set up play rooms so people can meet cats. If a little thing like teaching a cat to high five will work then I am impressed by the patience it takes to teach them.

Sally Cat is a special case. She is a very clever cat. She must be able to tell when you mean business. You let her do what she wants, so a "no" from you carries weight. You never say no unless it matters.
Catherine

I can well understand why animal refuges are investigating new ways of making animals attractive to potential caretakers. If the high five results in more cats getting adopted, well - good!

However, I have a confession to make here. I didn't even know what a high five is until about five years ago! It seems to have become common in many countries, but not in France so much. So I had to look it up and found that it is an American expression, probably originating from the late 1970s, although apparently low fives existed amongst the Afro-American community previously:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_five

Regarding the UK and high fives, see http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/20...nd-awkward (!)

So in the UK, I think that the refuges will need to train cats to shake hands politely, haha!
Quote:So in the UK, I think that the refuges will need to train cats to shake hands politely, haha!

I never thought about the fact that High Five is more of a north American thing. It is pretty common right now so I would respond to a cat doing a high five. I have even been known to fist bump. I am not sure how a cat would accomplish this, but it could be cute.

I still do "Live Long and Prosper". If a cat ever did that to me it would be love at first sight.

So, what would a French shelter have to teach a cat to do to get it noticed? Is there a particular gesture that would get potential adopters attention.
Catherine

(04-26-2018, 03:35 PM)Catherine Wrote: I still do live "Live Long and Prosper". If a cat ever did that to me it would be love at first sight.

So, what would a French shelter have to teach a cat to do to get it noticed? Is there a particular gesture that would get potential adopters attention.

For a cat doing live long and prosper, see https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6a/4d/ba/6a4db...49bbf7.jpg

What should a French cat learn? I don't know, maybe rub his whiskers like a French moustache? Or kissing on the cheek? Smiley4
The cat did do "live long and prosper". I love it.

Quote: What should a French cat learn? I don't know, maybe rub his whiskers like a French moustache? Or kissing on the cheek? [Image: smiley4.gif]

That might work. If the cat acted in a certain way it would be noticed. I wonder if anyone is working on this.
Catherine