Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who cares if they are cute...the truth about animals
Zoologist Lucy Cooke believes we see animals the way we want to see them and not the way they are. We see pandas as cute and cuddly and we forget they are actually bears. Many of our wrong ideas actually date back to ancient Greece. In some ways we haven't changed our thinking since then. She makes this clear in her new book The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/22/604121405...-own-terms

I rather think this would be a fun book to read. There is so much about wildlife that we don't know. A book by an open minded observer would have some interesting ideas and we would see animals in a new light.  I hope the book is available soon.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This does sound like an interesting book.

I see her point. And am reminded that some of those tiny dogs who are "somebody's baby" and who are dressed in little doll dresses, with bows in their hair.....are descended from Wolves!
We still think if it looks cute it must act cute. Inside every cat is a tiger.  People worry about animals living alone. Some species live alone naturally and they are not happy if they are crowded by others of their species. Not all animals nurture their young. Some nurture them for many years.

This could be quite a refreshing book to read. I am sure it must be very funny at times. How would you know if a sloth is stoned. They are so slow moving all the time? Now I am curious.
Catherine

Haha! How would you know if a Sloth was stoned?
Answer: he wouldn't be walking around looking for his dealer Smiley4 

Sorry -silly Tobi!

Er....he'd probably fall out of his tree? Or run about doing the midnight crazies?
Quote:Haha! How would you know if a Sloth was stoned?

Answer: he wouldn't be walking around looking for his dealer [Image: smiley4.gif] 
You may be right.
In this case the dealer may be a tree with fungus. If the sloth isn't on its "dealer" tree it will make a run for it.

https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-the-secret...ungus-n901

How clever of you to guess.

Now we know why they have such silly grins all the time.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmf3XEv1n1qLJQXNduLhS...T8QbvcEJOA]

Now I wonder how you know a hippo is lovelorn.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS28wQz0-5iRcQLB-wGqr_...EOYcxUuwtm]This book could be really funny and informative.
Catherine

Well it seems Sloths haven't always been as slow and laid back as they are today......

https://www.aol.co.uk/video/view/ancient...559f61b4b/

I can't load this video or watch it, but have posted it in case others can, here. It looks intrigung!
If we hunted sloths like that then no wonder they took to the trees and just hang around quietly. We barely notice them and since they don't run they don't bring out the hunting urge that some people have.

The prehistoric sloths were a lot bigger. I knew that, but this is the first time I looked at a picture of a sloth with a picture of humans. They were bigger than us.  I wonder what they were like.
Catherine