Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we see, what our pets see
Vision is a field of study that is interesting and informative. Scientists have been comparing visual acuity between humans and other animals. We  as humans have very high visual acuity. Birds of prey have better sight, but other than that our sight is much sharper. In other words our pets do not see the details that we see. I was surprized that goldfish vision was as good as it is, almost as good as a cat. I am also surprized that insect vision is so poor. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...132940.htm

So when out cat fails to see something we should not be surprized. I expected rats to have better vision. 
Now I wonder what do my guinea pigs see. They may not see detail, but they never miss a vegetable.
I suspect reptile vision is different too. Snakes seem to miss a lot. I hope they publish more about this. I want to know what the animals around me see. I know they see differently. Since they rely so heavily on scent maybe vision is a secondary sense. Our sense of smell is weaker so we would need our vision.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's interesting. Poor Mosquitoes!  And Flies! No wonder they can never find their way out when they are stuck in a window, even if the window is open!

I have noticed that most cats don't seem to have facial/body recognition at distance, whereas dogs do. Over a distance say, of a hundred yards or so. A dog will recognise me but even a cat I know, won't until I get nearer

I once saw some info about dogs seeing better at the blue/violet end of the spectrum, so apparently they see grass as blue-ish rather than the "grass-green" that we see. The reason for that apparently being that the orange/red/yellow part of the spectrum is grey-ish for them. I don't know if that is true, or not though.

I once had a dream about seeing through the eyes of a bee. Haha! I have no idea if it was true or not, but it was a very peculiar way of seeing, though remarkable and interesting. The vision was very fragmented in a geometric sort of way and slightly fuzzy. I seem to remember that was slightly blue-grey as well.
Not all humans have the same level of vision and definitely not the same level of colour vision. 
You are right about cats. They don't see clearly in the distance, but a dog a block away will recognize you.
Insects don't need to see things in the distance. Hawks do. Vision has developed according to what we need to see to survive.

Chameleons are different again. I don't know how far they can see, but the see two different images at the same time. Each eye sees independently. Their brains handle seeing two different images. So they can see forward and back at the same time. That would be a real advantage.

You have amazing dreams. What was it like to be a bee? They have very different vision from us. They even see the colours differently. Some white flowers are a totally different colour to a bee.

I seriously want to know what my snakes see. I think some types of snake have better vision than others.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine