Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelter dogs poisoned
The Pets Needing Parents shelter in Colorado, Texas is in shock after someone snuck in and poisoned eight dogs. They used a bag of flea and ant  killer meant for lawn application. Some of it was found in water dishes. The dogs have been seriously ill. Four are recovering. One husky dog died and three more dogs are still in danger. Of the four who are recovering it is not certain yet if there will be long term health problems.  They have not caught the person who did this, but there is a reward offered.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan...el-attack/

This is shocking cruelty. The person had to deliberately choose to break into a shelter, carrying poison and proceed to poison dogs. This was a very deliberate act. None of these actions are ordinary. No one walks around carrying a bag of poison. They person had to choose to break in. They then had to choose which dogs to poison. This is a dangerous person. I think they need to work very hard to catch whoever did this. If they did this to shelter dogs, what else might they do?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is almost certainly someone local (perhaps angry at the noise of dogs barking?). The search should start there. My instinct tells me that this is someone local with anger issues.
What a dreadfully cruel thing to do. I agree with you Catherine. Whoever did it, thought about it first. They had to have done. Those poor dogs. I hope they will recover properly, and I hope it doesn't affect their chances of being adopted, as some adopters don't like the idea of rescuing a dog with possibly on-going health problems.

Yes I wonder, LPC. It might well be someone like that who hates the dogs barking etc.
It could be someone who hates the shelter or it could be someone who was refused a dog for whatever reason. 
It could be a former volunteer or someone who was refused as a volunteer. It could be a former staff. It does seem likely that the person had a connection with the shelter. They must have had some knowledge of the building to find the dogs they wanted to kill. 

I agree, I hope this doesn't ruin the dogs chances of finding a home. They don't even know yet if any of the dogs are going to recover completely. It is going to depend on the nature of the poison and whether it has long term consequences.  They won't know until some time passes and the dogs stay healthy. The biggest fear would be kidney trouble or neurological damage.
It is a terrible thing to do to a helpless trusting dog in a cage at a shelter, a dog just hoping to find a home.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine