Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new toy to help pets deal with anxiety
There is a new toy that is designed to keep pets occupied and less anxious when they are alone. It is a mat that can be chewed. It can have food treats rubbed or poured onto its surface and it takes time for the pet to get every bit of the tasty treat.
Pets get so preoccupied with the treat, they forget you have left them alone.

https://www.bhg.com.au/lickimat-is-the-n...y-for-pets

It looks interesting. Do you think it would work? 
Food is the key to a lot of feeling secure. A big bowl of food would work, but your pet could end up really fat. The pet only gets a bit of a treat with the mat. 
It would be great if it worked.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It sounds great....a perfect way to get a good smearing of peanut butter all over your rugs and floors while you are out!

Hahaha.....

Seriously, I presume the mat is too robust for a dog to rip it to shreds and swallow dangerous pieces of it? That would depend on the strength of the material used, and the dog. Some dogs don't rip things to shreds. But those who do, can decimate almost anything in minutes. Those kinds of dogs must never be left unattended with any toy.
Quote:
It sounds great....a perfect way to get a good smearing of peanut butter all over your rugs and floors while you are out!
79 85 
Now that you mention it I am seeing a disaster. You know that there are dogs that would find a way to rub the peanut butter on the white rug and the white sofa and if they have time they will get the last bits all over your bed.

Maybe it would work if the dog was confined to a kitchen area where everything is very washable.

I am sure some dogs could tear it up. Those dogs will also eat the sofa and tear up cushions and generally take your home apart.

The mat might work for a polite little dog that would spend hours  working on it and have lots of fun.

Not all toys are for all dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine