Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gf and I wanna get a new pet, any suggestions?
She absolutely adores dogs, but I’m more of a cat person myself. In an effort to compromise, I suggested we should get a different type of pet instead. I was thinking of getting a bearded dragon or maybe even an exotic breed of fish. Any suggestions for alternative pets that are fairly easy to take care of and doesn’t require much space? We’re living in a tiny apartment in the city and want something that can live contentedly in a small enclosure. Plus we're going on a Ukraine ski trip soon and we were hoping it would be the kind of pet that doesn't get lonely easily. Thanks in advance!
Rats make good pets a lot of people don't like them but they only need a comfortable cage,they're very sociable and friendly and they'll run around and come back to you.
Rats are good, so are leopard geckos. 

Perhaps you should wait until after your trip before you get  a pet. No pet can be left alone while you are away.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Big Grin 
(07-04-2018, 03:17 PM)Catslave Wrote: Rats make good pets a lot of people don't like them but they only need a comfortable cage,they're very sociable and friendly and they'll run around and come back to you.

I'll have to pass on that one cause I'm absolutely terrified of rats. LOL! Thanks though!
(07-04-2018, 03:24 PM)Catherine Wrote: Rats are good, so are leopard geckos. 

Perhaps you should wait until after your trip before you get  a pet. No pet can be left alone while you are away.

That's a good point actually. I'll have to discuss that with my gf. Thanks!
I wish you luck with your new pet.
Catherine

May I suggest an ant farm.
I was going to say you could get a dog, and a cat. If they grew up together they would no doubt, be best friends.
But they are not a good choice if you and your girlfriend spend lots of time away on trips. Both cats and dogs hate to be left alone too long unless they have a special bond with a pet sitter/family member (?) who can live in while you're away.

Also, I know people have "indoor cats" but if there is no access at all to an outdoor space, I don't feel that's totally fair on a cat -to be locked in an apartment for its whole life.
And the dog would have to be the type that is happy to go for a couple of walks a day but isn't the sort of dog who would be unhappy inside a lot of the time. Many dogs do need a lot of time in the outdoors. Some "lapdog" types would be happy with apartment life plus a couple of walks a day.

But as you live in a small apartment a cat and dog might not work.

If you don't like Rats, how do you like Mice? A pet mouse is nice. But even a Rat, Mouse or Guinea Pigs would need someone trusted to be with them while you are on trips. They also would need not just food, but company and regular cleaning.

Then there are fish....You could get a fish tank. Fish are interesting and very relaxing to watch. They get to know you and are quite fun. For when you go away, you can buy what are called "Holiday Blocks" which is food that you put in the tank in one block, and lasts a certain time. Each one is for a certain number of fish for a certain length of time (I think it's a week). So for two weeks you would need two, etc.
Bearded dragons need big tanks. Guinea pigs are high maintenance. You have to be prepared to give fresh vegetables every day.
A leopard Gecko would be okay in  10 gal tank and if you feed well and put the lights on a timer they can be alone for a day or two. Not more than a weekend though. A ten gal tank is small enough to transport to a friends place if you are going on a longer trip.  Some reptile stores also board the animals that they sell.

You can look into that when you are choosing a pet.
Catherine