Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World's smallest dog also the most cloned dog
This is an odd story. Milly was born so small she wasn't expected to survive. She not only survived, she has been very healthy. 
She is recognized as the world's smallest dog. 
Because she is so small, a biotech research company wanted to study her genetics. They did this by cloning Milly. There are now 49 copies of Milly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...times.html

I don't know if they are going to learn anything from Milly. The puppies are not as small as her. I have mixed feelings about cloning, but the sight of all those identical dogs is really funny. Seriously though, I don't know about creating clones for research. 
I wonder what will actually happen to all those dogs. If they are as sweet and wonderful as Milly it is sad to think they were created for research purposes. I wouldn't want my pets to be cloned to produce research animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have strong feelings about cloning. Not supportive of it, so my answer is going to be a bit negative I'm afraid.

My own feelings are -why couldn't they leave Millie in peace to live her life without messing about like that? Yes take DNA samples from her to study -why not? But all this cloning business, and producing all those little dogs for research....sorry but I am not a supporter of that.

Anyway I suppose so long as those dogs all have happy normal family lives, and just have to have blood taken now and then, it wouldn't be so bad.
I am not sure any of them will have normal lives. After all they were cloned by a biotech company.

Cloning does have its issues and I don't like the idea of cloning to produce research animals. I don't think it is a good idea to produce a clone of a dead pet.

Cloning might be a way of saving a species from extinction. That puts cloning in a whole different light. 
Would it actually work. I am not sure. Should we try it. Maybe.

Of course if we are talking about cloning wooly mammoths I really want that to happen. They should never have become extinct. 
The Canadian Arctic would be more complete with Mammoths.
And dinosaurs, I would love to see a dinosaur.

However in this case I wonder if cloning Millie so many times is even going to teach us anything. After all the puppies are not as small as Millie.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine