Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accidentally killed bro's pet. Should I lie about it?
I accidentally killed my brother’s pet goldfish because I forgot to stop by his apartment to feed it. I know it’s just a pet, but god knows how much my bro cherished that little thing. Now I’m all caught up. Should I just tell him? Or cover it up by getting an identical one from the pet store? He’s out of town on a real singles tour for a few days and I don't want him to think he can’t rely on me for something as simple as feeding his precious goldfish. What do you guys think?
Even though the truth is he can't rely on you for something as simple as feeding a goldfish...because you unreliably forgot to go and feed it and let it starve to death.

Tell the truth so he can find someone who gives enough of a crap to look after a living thing.
If you lie to him he will eventually find out and then he will wonder if you have lied about other things. 
You can replace the fish if you want, but tell him the truth.

I don't know why you didn't remember to stop and feed the fish. Things happen. Next time take the fish home with you or have your brother get a nearby neighbour to care for the fish. It is a lot easier to remember to do something for someone next door than it is to make a special trip to someone's place. I won't look after someone's pet if they are more than two streets away.

How long did the fish go without food? Goldfish are hard to starve to death. They usually die from over feeding.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

For gods sake how easy is it to feed a fish stand up and be a good person tell him the truth say sorry and offer to get him another fish.
(07-11-2018, 10:55 AM)imfrightened Wrote: I accidentally killed my brother’s pet goldfish because I forgot to stop by his apartment to feed it. I know it’s just a pet, but god knows how much my bro cherished that little thing. Now I’m all caught up. Should I just tell him? Or cover it up by getting an identical one from the pet store? He’s out of town on a real singles tour for a few days and I don't want him to think he can’t rely on me for something as simple as feeding his precious goldfish. What do you guys think?

Yes you could go and find him an identical one and never tell him.
He would never know....but you always would and it would bug you for a long time.
Do you want a secret like that between you and your brother? He may never find out but if he did he'd be upset most likely.

Or you could tell him the truth.

There is no such thing as "just a pet". It was a living creature who depended on you.

So whatever you decide to do, the best way for yourself is to never think of any living creature in that way ever again. We just cannot forget when we have living things depending on us. Maybe this has taught you something?