Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I save Fern?
(07-17-2018, 01:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have used Pedialyte over the years. I have a powdered gecko mix that is good and I have some powdered crickets. They mix up into a nourishing cricket paste that can be spoon fed to a beardie or any other lizard. Fern was just so far gone. I don't know if it was a failure to feed properly or if she had some serious digestive issue. Either way she was willing to eat, but it wasn't enough to save her.

How is Popeye? Is he able to eat on his own or do you have to hand feed him?

I was working with Jake Krinkle Snake today. After a bit of a soak I was able to shed him perfectly. This time he couldn't even do his own eye caps. It is hard to believe that Jake would be at least ten and has been with me a full 8 years. I didn't think he would make it. You never know when you are going to have success. Each time you try you have to believe it is possible to save the animal and do the best you can.

You know I will do it again the next time there is a reptile in trouble.

Pedialyte is a rescue staple for me. When Claire got sick before I could get her to the vet I ended up getting dried meal worms and an extra blade and cup for my magic bullet to make a meal worm powder and would mix it with Pedialyte to feed her.  It was the most logical thing I could think to do.  The things we are willing to do for our sick babies.  Even when they aren't sick.  With this new vet and the emeraid magic powder I'm much better equipped to handle lizards not wanting to eat.

I remember when you first got Jake.  I can't believe you've had him that long or that we've known each other that long.  He's done great in your care.  Not many other people would have given him a chance at life.

Popeye is doing great.  It's taken some time but I finally got him to eat a super worm!  The first step!  I'm still hand feeding but I'm trying to back off and get him interested in eating on his own again.  I'll sit with him showing him different worms and will occasionally squirt some emeraid in his mouth to get him eating.  His biggest thing is he falls asleep so I have to keep waking him up or put him away and try again later.  Greens he has no interest in and he wasn't too interested in wax worms but super worms move a lot so he really likes the movement.  Next I'll try crickets.
It really has been a lot of years. Jake is still amazing. I think he is at least 4 feet long. If his spine was straight he would be almost 5 feet. Now that he is ten, I think he is slowing a little, but he is good. He is such a pretty snake.
[Image: 2gi2__Gzx8OdRI3sa2ZbXVqECNSgeZuzENBFer-n...=w155-h275]

It is a good sign that Popeye ate a meal worm. It may take a while to get him eating on his own, but at least he can eat. That is really important. Reptiles are slow to recover, but with your continued efforts I think you will someday get him eating on his own. Beardies like crickets so that might be what temps him to eat.

Some beardies are poor at eating vegetables. Have you tried dandelion flowers? Most beardies love yellow flowers. I have seen them eat squash flowers, but those are hard to get.
Popeye is in the right hands. I am sure you will build him back up and get him eating again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine