Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ikea recalls water dispensor after two dogs suffocate
Ikea is quickly recalling the Lurvig water dispenser after two dogs got their heads stuck and suffocated.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4324883/ikea-...er-recall/

It is unfortunate that dogs died, but Ikea is doing the responsible thing and immediately recalling the product.
The article lists a number to call for information. The product itself can be returned to the store without proof of purchase.

Hopefully this message will get out to everyone who bought the water dispenser before there are any more mishaps.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, I took one look at the design and could immediately see its flaws, for any dog with the right head size to fit into the dispenser.

What's wrong with putting a washing up bowl down filled with water for the day? The worst that could happen is you come home to a really very wet floor.

I am sorry about what happened to those dogs. Ikea need to re-think that design.
A lot of people like a water dispenser like that. I am not sure what the problem is. Would a dog get its head stuck in the area the water comes from. I am sure it was designed with the best of intentions. I always used the large bowl method for cays and multiple water bottles for guinea pigs.

It is sad that the flaw was only found after dogs died.
Catherine

I am only guessing but maybe the dispenser part was too easily detachable. That both dogs tried to get more water by dislodging it, then put their heads inside it and sadly, got stuck?
That makes sense. A number of dogs have died because of getting their heads stuck in potato chip(crisps) bags and other snack bags that can seal around their heads.

It seems that dogs like to stick their heads in things.
Maybe there could be some kind of safety valve on the water reservoir.
Catherine

I just wonder why the dogs managed to dislodge the container in the first place. Surely it was on a screw/lock thread? Well it should have been and for it not to have been is a serious design fault.

My neighbour has a water fountain which is connected to her water supply. So there is a constant stream of fresh water for the dogs. I don't quite know how she has fixed it up but there are no dangerous parts which could come adrift. And if by chance the water was cut off for a few hours, the bowl is big enough to hold quite a lot of water.
That fountain would be the ideal, but water here is expensive and it is metered. A running fountain would cost hundreds of dollars in water fees every month.  Maybe that is why the water reservoir is so popular.

I wonder if the water reservoir snaps in place instead of screwing on. It would be the cheaper option and it probably looked safe.
Catherine