Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Black Rhinos die after being moved
Sad 
This is a very sad thing. The Rhinos were moved to a new national park. The move was intended to help with rhino survival.
Eleven black rhinos were moved and eight of them died. It is thought there might have been an issue with the water. The new park has water that is saltier than the animals are used to. They  would have drunk more water when they felt thirsty and that would have made things worse.

https://apnews.com/cbba153fe8824c50bab471f9f798db7b

It is sad when the best of intentions backfire.  Moving animals is not an easy job. The move itself can endanger them. 
The new conditions can put them at risk. Worse, movements of animals are usually part of a conservation effort and they often involve very endangered species.

I hope the remaining 3 rhinos can survive.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poor Rhinos. I hope the 3 remaining ones will be okay.
Wouldn't you have thought someone would check whether the move was suitable for them in every aspect before their re-location? Water is the most fundamental thing. Why wasn't the water checked?
Perhaps they shouldn't have been released into a new environment. They should have been held in some kind of enclosure while they got used to the new conditions. We might think conditions are the same, but to a rhino they proved very different.
We don't know as much as we think we do about animals and their needs. It is too late for the 8 that died. I just hope the others survive and any animal moves are handled better in future.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine