Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big on Bloor...my snakes do a street festival.
Every year the reptile centre takes part in the local street festival, Big on Bloor. We set up a big display and thousands of people touch and even hold snakes for the first time. We talk to them about reptiles and animals in general and encourage them to respect animals.
This was an amazing year and I did get a few pictures, most of them not that good, but remember I was holding one or two snakes when I was taking the pictures.

This year I took Sedona, Iceman, Firebird and Molly to the festival.
 [Image: IN5e1v292X65ONAqEvblRn7PQyVheCddQdouj7s5...=w155-h275]    [Image: pEpSBa06Ry_5sAh1TLRBrWfQ4Qg69L_BIkjBGYkN...=w155-h275] Here we are in transit. Riding the subway with snakes is interesting. People notice.

[Image: RR4V_0Y-SRu4VtMji9wPTi_9HfyJeTJiMxMvIUaZ...=w207-h275]Sedona and I had fun.

[Image: HZ6WN6C3UL_xlLnKLFmpw3n3uY8A7ZpJINk2WBUG...=w155-h275]This is later in the day and Iceman and I are looking a little tired.

[Image: SWA8JBnBpMQHeWRRTRfpSmqtrwJ_zEVvDYYc4nPh...=w155-h275]I had my snakes set up so they could rest. Only one was out at a time. I don't want them to be stressed by the experience. They do seem to love meeting people, but I still think they need breaks.

[Image: Sgf4V46J5kfDIOnefJB4gLE9CceXRRSaR3ZIlt0y...=w489-h275]This is Molly. She is a pretty girl and people loved her.

[Image: Soa1J0Z0EUGj3-IYwubJp26-Y9_fy7-Uv0sUFsNp...=w155-h275]Sedona was the most popular and people enjoyed holding him.  
The two of us took a walk around the festival and had fun seeing things. I even managed to buy a Tshirt with Sedona helping me.

We had other snakes on display.
[Image: -U6Qq_4eqmf34cDTHu5WY2a_kaa15o-ebbgaqa-p...=w155-h275]The dark one is Dakota. The other one is a Columbian boa.

[Image: A2odj5LiqPIZcH72MChqyYbqO3wfzimEC_jHmrs9...=w155-h275]This is Isis our full grown Colombian red tailed boa. She loves meeting people.

[Image: 94e5llIkGg_W6mUb54CPW7Rnbdxz1KS1PQR88M0z...=w155-h275]The Brazilian Rainbow Boa on the left. The right hand one is Dakota.

[Image: lsQZsk43dg2z8omWMBUhbUMiFEpXR0yvxgVp-ZXX...=w155-h275]The snake is thinking of climbing our tent. The tent is new and it made it easier to keep the snakes cool enough.
[Image: 8jFInKowx7asGzH1_5OO_8b2Q5FHx0RHj7NmWezp...=w155-h275]We went from noon until midnight and yes people stayed to the end even thought the crowds were a little thinner.  Much fun was had at the festival and we spent the time teaching people about reptiles. Thousands of people touched and held a snake for the first time. It was a real opportunity teach about animals and how to respect them.

Big on Bloor is done for another year and my snakes and I rested today. They were tired and so was I. Wait until next year. We will do even better. I know Sedona would be happy to do it again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Big on Bloor has come around again!
It doesn't seem like a year since last time....must be getting old because time really does fly!

Great photos Catherine. They made me almost feel as if I was there myself. I'm glad you all had a happy day.

It's nice for people to meet the snakes, and vice versa for the more sociable snakes.
I have a snakey feeling you all had fun!  Smiley4 Smiley17 . Yes, it is amazing how time flies and I also have difficulty believing that a year has gone by.
(07-25-2018, 04:46 AM)LPC Wrote: I have a snakey feeling you all had fun!  Smiley4 Smiley17 .

Quote:I have a snakey feeling you all had fun!  [Image: smiley4.gif] [Image: smiley17.gif]
Good one.

It is hard to believe it is  over already. We start planning and talking about it after the new year. No matter how much we plan it always seems to just happen. I can't really choose which snakes I bring until the morning of the festival. I can't predict which ones will start to shed or just not be in a social mood that day. 

Somehow we adapt no matter what the weather. The crowds come and we are there to meet them.
We had fun. We are still tired, but we feel good about the people we talked to. The snakes like meeting people. I think they find people interesting. Maybe they see Big on Bloor in a totally different light. Maybe they think the people are there to entertain them. Once a year crowds of people come to give the snakes a good experience of interacting with people.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine