Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
Quote: Indeed Titanoboa is impressive. That snake is like, once in a lifetime discovery. Seriously you want that as a pet ? [Image: smiley4.gif] 
Then you won't have your other pets.
I think it would probably eat me too. I don't know what its prey was, but it must have been fairly big.

I do like the Irish Elk, but I love the mammoth. They must have been impressive to see walking across the tundra. Of all the extinctions this is the one that saddens me most. We should still have woolly mammoths.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(09-08-2018, 03:38 PM)atherine Wrote:
Quote: Indeed Titanoboa is impressive. That snake is like, once in a lifetime discovery. Seriously you want that as a pet ? [Image: smiley4.gif] 
Then you won't have your other pets.
I think it would probably eat me too. I don't know what its prey was, but it must have been fairly big.

I do like the Irish Elk, but I love the mammoth. They must have been impressive to see walking across the tundra. Of all the extinctions this is the one that saddens me most. We should still have woolly mammoths.

Titanoboa ate crocodiles, fish, turtles etc etc. I don't know how many different kinds of turtles existed in that time, but there was one large turtle which most likely can't be swallowed by Titanoboa because that turtle's shell was wide as a dinner table. Then i think there was a 10 feet lung fish that lived alongside this monster snake. In modern day, few snakes swallow crocodiles and sometimes it doesn't work out properly. There was a case where a python swallowed the alligator and later exploded because the size of this gator is too much for that snake. However for Titanoboa, swallowing a big crocodile like the salt water crocodile is no problem.

Of course Mammoths are impressive. The Woolly Mammoth is one of my favorite animals and i think it makes sense that it doesn't have to exist now ? I mean, Elephants are near to extinction because of poachers. If Woolly Mammoths can be successfully cloned, what is the guarantee that the Mammoths won't be killed for their large tusks ?
Woolly Mammoths would roam freely across the Canadian tundra. That is a really remote area and even poachers would have a hard time getting there. Plus it is very open and poachers could be seen for miles. 
There is no human population encroaching on the mammoth territory. The land is mostly uninhabited. There would be hundreds of miles for the mammoths to roam.

The Titanoboa wouldn't do well now. It would have trouble finding food and would probably resort to eating humans. 
We have depleted most of their other prey.
Catherine

[Image: dcugy1x-8d197311-1048-4ff4-82a6-2f31a240...xHaAKDHf8I]

Dimetrodon is an apex predator and one of largest land animals of its time. It is often mistaken for a dinosaur but it became extinct some million years before the first appearance of dinosaurs. The most distinctive feature of Dimetrodon was a gigantic sail on its back. It is believed to be more closely related to mammals than to reptiles though it is not a direct ancestor of mammals. The largest species D. angelensis was about 4.6 metres (15 ft) 
in length and weighed upto 300 kg or more.

Fossils have been found in United States (Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas and Utah), Canada and Europe (Germany).

[Image: d4xh1bi-250b2cd3-4cef-45e4-b02b-c0c57d45...RvdGp-Mj8E]

The megalodon is the largest shark that has ever existed. It is a fearsome killing machine and has the most powerful bite of any animal. It had a bite force of 108,514 N (24,390 lbf) - 182,201 N (40,960 lbf).  Smiley3  The megalodon is usually considered to be the most powerful predator in vertebrate history.

Megalodon was about 12 - 18 meters (40 to 60 ft) long and weighed over 50 tonnes. It had a very robust dentition and had a total of about 276 teeth in its jaws, spanning 5 rows. A large megalodon had jaws over 2.1 meters (7 ft) across. The largest known megalodon tooth is about 7 3/8 inches in length. The largest confirmed great white shark teeth are less than 3 inches long.

Fossils have been found from many parts of the world, including Europe, Africa, both North and South America, as well as Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, the Canary Islands, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Malta, the Grenadines and India. Also from regions far away from continental lands, such as the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean.
Wow...Dimetrodon is wonderful!
Is it a guess that its "sails" were such beautiful rainbow coulours? And its body blue? Because it has lovely colouring.
Haha...he's almost small enough to be someone's pet....but being an apex predator....maybe not! 93

Megalodon looks extremely similar to the Sharks of today! The obvious difference being its incredible size!

Thank you for these new ones, Sameer! You do some beautiful work.
The Dimetrodon is impressive. They are really ancient. I suppose they could be any colour at all. We have not found any way to confirm the colours of fossilized animals. Modern animals have beautiful colours so ancient animals were probably colourful.

Megalodon is an awesome predator. It is hard to picture anything that big. I have seen fossilized Meg teeth and they are big. I don't think the ones I have seen are the biggest either.

We would respect the oceans more if megalodons still roamed the Earth's waters.
Catherine

I think that is crazy how small elephants even are compared to some of those creatures. I was just imagining looking up at some of those dinosaurs. The scale is insane. Thank you for posting. Really puts things in perspective. I hope we can keep elephants from coming up on that list as well.
Look Elegant. Save Elephants. The Elegant Ellie.
TheElegantEllie.com
I still wish we had mammoths.
People are working to save elephants. I have to believe they can do it.

The world would be so much poorer without our big grey friends. They are so big and yet so small compared to some of the extinct animals.
Catherine

Photo 
Help save animals facing Extinction. Your purchase benefits a verified charity.

(Link removed because this link needs to be posted in the Animal Marketplace  section)
The T-shirts are very nice. Please do post a link in the Animal Marketplace section in case any of our members or visitors are interested.
Catherine