Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
[Image: dcwjmhg-c461bae8-7bd1-4938-be67-1bef215d...pVmanpkhx0]

Onchopristis is a giant sawfish which was about 8m (26 ft) long and weighed in the neighborhood of 1–1.5 tonnes.

Fossils have been found in North Africa (Morocco), North America and New Zealand. 

[Image: daj24xx-85f4b39e-1b42-49a1-8af9-81bb7394...IO4H1EyE1I]

Stethacanthus was only around 70 cm (2.3 ft) long and weighed about 10-20 pounds. It had a typical shark-like appearance and had an unusually shaped dorsal fin, which resembled an anvil or ironing board.

Fossils have been found in China, Europe, North America and Russia.

(I remember back in the days when i first started to read about some extinct fish, i noted that stethacanthus looked different. When i saw it in the documentary, i thought it should be a big monster but instead this thing is a cute little fella.  19 )
The giant sawfish is incredible. He would have ruled the seas wherever he lived.
I think it is interesting the place fossils have been found. They are not exactly connected countries. Does that mean he had a wide range and there are still more fossils to be found.

I love the little stethacanthus. He is such an odd shape. He would have been cute. I wonder if the were numerous. They seem to have had a big range.  Have they found many fossils or just a few.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(01-10-2019, 03:36 PM)Catherine Wrote: The giant sawfish is incredible. He would have ruled the seas wherever he lived.
I think it is interesting the place fossils have been found. They are not exactly connected countries. Does that mean he had a wide range and there are still more fossils to be found.

I love the little stethacanthus. He is such an odd shape. He would have been cute. I wonder if the were numerous. They seem to have had a big range.  Have they found many fossils or just a few.

The giant sawfish is quite something while it is also a food of spinosaurus.  Whistle It seems like more fossils are known for the little stethacanthus.
I am trying to picture spinosaurus eating a giant sawfish. It was a dangerous world back then. 

There must have been plenty of stethacanthus around. They were probably food for a great many animals.
Catherine

(01-11-2019, 03:28 PM)Catherine Wrote: I am trying to picture spinosaurus eating a giant sawfish. It was a dangerous world back then. 

There must have been plenty of stethacanthus around. They were probably food for a great many animals.

See 'Planet Dinosaur', it's one of the awesome dinosaur documentaries. In one of the episodes, they show the spinosaurus killing and eating couple of onchopristis. I think i should make a post about animal documentaries, i will share what i have seen so far , what you think ?

[Image: dcws2ui-80ef7f52-6fd4-4ab3-aa0f-8cd87a83...sIi_uMCz0M]

Tylosaurus was a a large dominant predatory marine lizard of the Western Interior Seaway. It is closely related to modern monitor lizards and snakes. Tylosaurus proriger was among the largest of the mosasaurs, reaching lengths of 12 to 13 meters (40 ft - 43 ft) and weighs 5 – 6 tonnes or more.

Fossils have been found in North America (Kansas), Europe and New Zealand.
Quote:See 'Planet Dinosaur', it's one of the awesome dinosaur documentaries. In one of the episodes, they show the spinosaurus killing and eating couple of onchopristis. I think i should make a post about animal documentaries, i will share what i have seen so far , what you think ?
Definitely do a post about animal documentaries. It would be a shame to miss a good show because we didn't hear about it.

Looking at the mosasaur in a picture like this I can see the relationship between them and the monitor lizards. They would have been terrifying. Think how fierce the modern monitors like the Komodo dragon are. You wouldn't have wanted to swim when mosasaurs ruled the oceans.
Catherine

Certainly the mosasaurs were terrifying and you wouldn't have wanted to swim when they ruled the oceans. 
I always liked the sauropods. They seem like large gentle creatures. There was certainly variation in the family and they are found all around the world.  They were a herd animal weren't they? Can you imagine a herd of Sauroposeidon. They would have been magnificent. I wonder if there were mixed herds.
Catherine

(01-21-2019, 03:39 PM)Catherine Wrote: I always liked the sauropods. They seem like large gentle creatures. There was certainly variation in the family and they are found all around the world.  They were a herd animal weren't they? Can you imagine a herd of Sauroposeidon. They would have been magnificent. I wonder if there were mixed herds.

Indeed they are my top favorites, i go crazy for the gigantic ones. Sure they should have been herd animals. To see a herd of any giant sauropods eating and roaming will be awesome. The land would shake when the largest of them walk. You would hear sounds like dum dum dum....  Smiley4

[Image: dcxqhf9-45b10ea3-20da-479c-b8c5-a59d9ede...F7D38rk5oY]

Saltasaurus was relatively small compared to it's gigantic cousins. This small armored sauropod had a short neck and stubby limbs. It was upto 12 m (40 ft) in length and weighed about 7 tonnes.

Fossils have been found in South America (Argentina).
Saltasaurus would have looked like a baby compared to the big guys. There is something beautiful and graceful about the sauropods. I know the T.Rex and the velociraptors are exciting and they are the ones people want to hear about, but the big slow moving herds would have been beautiful to watch. 

Deep down inside I am still sad that the dinosaurs are gone. The world was a very different place in those days.
Catherine