Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
(10-20-2019, 03:21 PM)Catherine Wrote: If the musk ox and the reindeer can survive in modern times I would think that the others could have continued to exist. It is sad that we have lost them. The world would be an amazing place if they were still around.

Usually the smaller animals survive.. Also note that the tapir is alive today.

[Image: d78ljhi-1fa81895-1565-4035-9a56-57e673fb...Cwwouf9XEA]

The Steller's sea cow was among the largest mammals other than whales to have existed. It was about 8 to 9 m (26 to 30 ft) in length and weighed 8-10 tonnes. Steller's sea cow was the largest of all sirenians, and had a much thicker layer of blubber than other sirenians, which was an adaptation to the cold waters of its environment. It fed solely on kelp. The Steller's sea cow was among the last survivor of the Pleistocene era. The last Steller's sea cow is thought to have become extinct by 1768.

The Steller's sea cow survived the Ice Age but it was hunted down to extinction in just 27 years after the Europeans first discovered them in the 18th century. The population was quickly wiped out by sailors, seal hunters as well as fur traders.

Fossils have been found in North America and Russia.

[Image: d76ehye-99322469-67c9-4c59-877a-787efe35...9bEdtCBqqs]

Leedsichthys is the largest known member of the bony fishes and it is one of the largest fish that ever lived. Leedsichthys reached lengths of 9 - 16.5 m (30 - 54 ft).

Fossils have been found in Europe (England, France, Germany, UK) and South America (Chile).
Quote:The Steller's sea cow survived the Ice Age but it was hunted down to extinction in just 27 years after the Europeans first discovered them in the 18th century. The population was quickly wiped out by sailors, seal hunters as well as fur traders.
This is tragic. It is another terrible loss that we have caused. It must have been incredible to see them swimming. We are so short sighted that all we can see is a way to make money from an animal. We can't see the incredible beauty of having them alive in our world.

I cannot picture a 54 foot fish. That would be big enough to swallow a human whole. 
The ancient oceans must have been wild places to live.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have successfully moved this thread. It does belong in the art section. The move was easier than I thought.
Catherine

(12-08-2019, 05:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have successfully moved this thread. It does belong in the art section. The move was easier than I thought.

I thought it might be difficult but anyway.. Of course it's terrible that the Steller's sea cow was hunted to extinction. Poor giant sea cow is a slow moving vegetarian. There are very few marine herbivore mammals live today which includes the relatives of the Steller's sea cow like the manatees and dugongs. Then the green sea turtle is a herbivore as adults.

[Image: ddm121l-79fb3539-f165-4232-97fe-ead0af59...Xwm6QODJIM]

Barosaurus is one of the longest dinosaurs measuring 26 m (85 ft) in length and weighing about 20 tonnes. It was similar to it's relative diplodocus but with a longer neck and shorter tail.

Fossils have been found in North America (Colorado, South Dakota and Utah).
I am sorry about the sea cows. The oceans needed a gentle herbivore. We have lost so much through our selfish ways. 62

The Barosaurus must have been an incredible sight. Can you picture a herd of them walking slowly with their great long necks and long beautiful tails. I might have seen fossils of this one. The  Royal Tyrell Museum  has a really good collection. I have certainly been in the parts of the world where they are found. It is a wonderful feeling to be surrounded by rocks that are as old as the dinosaurs and know that there could easily be fossils right under my feet.
Catherine

(12-11-2019, 04:02 PM)Catherine Wrote: The Barosaurus must have been an incredible sight. Can you picture a herd of them walking slowly with their great long necks and long beautiful tails. I might have seen fossils of this one. The Royal Tyrell Museum  has a really good collection. I have certainly been in the parts of the world where they are found. It is a wonderful feeling to be surrounded by rocks that are as old as the dinosaurs and know that there could easily be fossils right under my feet.

In fact the largest mounted dinosaur in Canada is barosaurus. Royal Tyrell Museum has this skeleton and the name given for that specimen is Gordo and it's about 27 m (90 ft) long.

[Image: d7eemo5-c4763b86-bfa8-48cb-826b-21bcb6fb...6aoFtyogig]

Apatosaurus is famous for once having the name brontosaurus, nonetheless both animals are closely related. It was a relative of diplodocus but was more heavily built. Apatosaurus is among the largest dinosaurs to roam the Earth. This massive beast weighs as much as 10 large elephants. It measured about 21 - 30 m (70 - 100 ft) long and weighed 33 to 73 tonnes.

Fossils have been found in North America (Colorado, Oklahoma and Utah).
Quote:In fact the largest mounted dinosaur in Canada is barosaurus. Royal Tyrell Museum has this skeleton and the name given for that specimen is Gordo and it's about 27 m (90 ft) long.
Then I have seen it. I have been to the Royal Tyrell Museum a few times. I lived in Alberta when it was being built.
I visited the Drumheller Valley back in the 1960s when the museum wasn't even a dream. They had a small store front with a few fossils from around the area. The big museum had its roots in those few fossils.

We all still love Apatosaurus even with a name change. It would have been an impressive sight to see something this big walking  along. I think they will find more fossils as they explore  the dinosaur rich badlands. I would love to see a local museum get a specimen.
Catherine

(12-13-2019, 04:34 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:In fact the largest mounted dinosaur in Canada is barosaurus. Royal Tyrell Museum has this skeleton and the name given for that specimen is Gordo and it's about 27 m (90 ft) long.
Then I have seen it. I have been to the Royal Tyrell Museum a few times. I lived in Alberta when it was being built.
I visited the Drumheller Valley back in the 1960s when the museum wasn't even a dream. They had a small store front with a few fossils from around the area. The big museum had its roots in those few fossils.

We all still love Apatosaurus even with a name change. It would have been an impressive sight to see something this big walking  along. I think they will find more fossils as they explore  the dinosaur rich badlands. I would love to see a local museum get a specimen.

I do know you saw it because you said before that you went to that museum. I saw that skeleton in a documentary. Paleontologist David Evans is Toronto's Royal Ontario Museum's Associate Curator and he introduced the barosaurus. 
        Indeed i love apatosaurus, it is one of my favorite veggie beasts. Apatosaurus is not changed from brontosaurus. They removed the name brontosaurus before and it is introduced again after longtime in 2015. They classified it as different from apatosaurus even though not all paleontologists seem to agree with it.

[Image: ddm7ovf-4e7f9e16-211f-41e8-b0b3-3055cc75...7ol3loMXhU]

Brontosaurus is one of the most famous and best-known dinosaurs of all time. It measured about 22 m (72 ft) lin length.

Fossils have been found in North America (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Oklahoma).
I hadn't realized that Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus were classified as two different species. If there is a dispute they may have to wait until they find more specimens before they can be sure of their designations. I am sure they will find more skeletons. I just hope they find some fairly intact ones. It could be years before they dig them out and study them, but the fossils are there.

I have been to the Royal Tyrell Museum and the Royal Ontario Museum. I can actually walk to the ROM from home. Life in Toronto has a lot of interesting possibilities.
Catherine

(12-14-2019, 04:33 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have been to the Royal Tyrell Museum and the Royal Ontario Museum. I can actually walk to the ROM from home. Life in Toronto has a lot of interesting possibilities.

That is awesome. I wish i lived in a place like that. Unfortunately i have somewhat aged and i will die without experiencing what i wanted in my life.

[Image: ddmiynt-97efec98-580e-4246-9419-446de112...bp4O6lzwY4]

Camarasaurus is one of the most common Jurassic giants. It is a mid-sized sauropod measuring about 18 m (60 ft) lin length and weighed in the neighborhood of 20 tonnes.

Fossils have been found in North America (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, and Oklahoma).