Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pets last moments...a vet talks.
A vet has talked about what a pets last moments can be like. A person will bring a pet in because euthanasia is now the kindest option. Then they will leave the pet with the vet and go. The pets last moments are spent frantically looking for their loved ones and wondering why they have been abandoned when they need them most. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic...heart.html

For a vet it is a difficult time. The vet wants to ease the pet into death as peacefully as possible. If there is no loved one there it is not so easy. I know some people find it hard, but if you love you pet please try. More than once I have gone with someone else's pet and held them and provided comfort. I am at least not a stranger and sometimes people just can't be there. 

Bringing a vet to the home is good, but sometimes people cannot afford to do this. 

Reading this article makes me even madder at the vet who charged more if the people were in the room with the cat when he died. They just couldn't afford to pay more. What she did was terrible for the people, but even worse for the cat. It breaks my heart to think of him alone like that. Smiley19 I always called him porkchop because he was a bit of a chubby cat. He should have had someone who loved him there when he died.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I do agree that it's better to be with them when they pass.
It is one of the hardest things anyone will experience through their whole life.
Some people, though their hearts are breaking keep the last moments steady for their loved ones, and break down afterwards.

But we aren't all capable of that. For some people it is a situation of sheer horror and they are unable to do it. It is too much for their coping skills.
I hope that these words in the article don't make such people feel more horror and an awful deep guilt -that they have hurt and let down their beloved animal friend in the last moments.
I have quite a lot to do with grieving people, and see that guilt is one of the biggest pains during the grief process; even when it has no basis in anything they have done wrong.
My estimation is that probably about 90% or maybe even more, of people grieving the passing of a loved one are torn by guilt.
It seems to be a natural part of grieving.
To add more guilt to their burden would be unkind.

But yes, I was with my Misty to the last split second....and beyond.
I was always with her anyway, through everything, the fun, the days and nights, the times of upsets and illness, the adventures we had....

But I do know that we are not all built the same and what is severe trauma for some people is just very sad for others.

Also....an animal is not (usually) aware that the final vet visit means "death".
It is just a vet visit. They almost always hate vet visits, so at the last visit (unless they are already dying or semi conscious) -they are going to be just as uneasy as they usually are. That doesn't necessarily mean they are thinking their human companion has left them to "die alone" or with strangers.
They are naive about things like that. They don't think like we do.
But they will have "picked up" on their caretaker's heartbreak and unease. They will be in a place they don't like or might even be frightened of. The combination will make them upset -yes.

And when they do pass, it is very possible the first thing they will do is dash out of there and follow their people right back home again! (before transitioning.)

But yes....it's a good idea if those who can cope pull out all the stops and be there for their loved one crossing over.
Maybe if a person can't be with their pet they can find a friend or family member who will help out. I went with a cat to the vet because the old lady had Alzheimers and she was in hospital. I stood in for her because she couldn't be there.

I know some people can't do it. They just can't be in the room at the end. It never gets easy. I was just surprized to hear a vet talk about things from his experience. It never gets easy for the vet either. Even with all the experience with death that they have, they find it hard. I think the vet is telling us that it is easier for him if you are there with your pet. 

Whatever happens it is hard for all of us. Worse people seem to carry a lot of guilt about so many things. You are right that guilt seems to go with grieving. It shouldn't. People do the best they can. Why should they feel guilty.  We would all feel much better if we would stop feeling guilty for things that we have no control over.

I try to be with my pets when they die. I try to let them die naturally.  We can't always do what we want.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine