Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I do with pets during a hurricane
Right now anyone living in a coastal city must be asking this question. There are a number of storms out there that could be a problem, but anyone in the path of Florence must be very worried. It is a serious hurricane. I am hoping that by now  anyone in danger has already evacuated. If not the advice in this article might help.

https://parade.com/699935/leahingram/her...hurricane/

The advice is good for any disaster situation. We should be prepared just in case and we should act quickly enough that we can get to safety. Of course it goes without saying that no pet should be left behind.  

There are shelters available for those fleeing Florence with their pets.

https://wtkr.com/2018/09/11/pet-friendly...-florence/

If someone is still trying to find a place I hope they find this article.

Right now where I am in Toronto I know the storm could swing inward and we would feel its effects. I am prepared to survive a power outage. I am able to keep my animals warm and safe at home.
Evacuation would be hard, but it could be done. Where I would go would depend on why I am evacuating.

With the effects of global warming becoming unpleasantly real anyone with pets needs to look at the local dangers and have a plan, just in case.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am very glad to see there are options for pet friendly evacuation lodgings.
I have only just seen this. It might be too late but I have contacted someone who has a popular  news channel on You Tube, hoping they will get the word out in time.
If the information is too late to help someone for this particular hurricane, sadly there are other storms out there that could make landfall as hurricanes. It is good that you are passing the information on.

I guess the real point of this discussion is to remind people to be prepared for disasters. We should all be aware of the disasters that could happen in our area. We should work out solutions to looking after ourselves and our pets. Also we should pay attention to what's happening so that we are aware of a storm early enough to do whatever is needed.

I do think people need to rethink the decision to remain at home in a hurricane. Sadly lives have already been lost because of Hurricane Florence. If people need to flee later under emergency conditions it can be harder to take a pet.

We are now experiencing the effects of global warming. We can expect floods, fires and storms that are dangerous. It would be wise to stay in a state of preparation to deal with the consequences of a warmer planet. There is a name for people who are prepared for emergencies and act soon enough to keep themselves and their pets safe. We call them survivors.
Catherine

(09-15-2018, 03:14 PM)Catherine Wrote: I guess the real point of this discussion is to remind people to be prepared for disasters. We should all be aware of the disasters that could happen in our area. We should work out solutions to looking after ourselves and our pets. Also we should pay attention to what's happening so that we are aware of a storm early enough to do whatever is needed.

Yes it's always good to be prepared for a disaster...or even the unexpected to happen. Wherever we might live, the unexpected can happen.

For those in the general path of hurricanes and flooding, it's always wise to have a plan in place regarding pets and other animals, so it is quick to put  into place days before the storm hits.

If people wait too long until evacuations are happening, they are acting in a panic, last-minute, and things can go very wrong.
But I think many people hang on too long because of schools and workplaces which don't always understand not turning up, unless a major storm warning is more or less actually happening!

I spoke with a woman the other day who was threatened by a big storm. That wasn't hurricane Florence, but another milder hurricane. The school hadn't yet given her the green light to keep children at home, and there were fines and all sorts for just keeping them at home because it was safer to do so!
So she was poised -not knowing what to do for the best. She also had an elderly mother living right on the water!

So people are manipulated by "authorities" into not doing what they really want to do ....i.e. getting out of there before the storm hits, and booking the whole family into a (pet friendly) lodgings inland. They stay because they are unsure what to do for the best. Or because of other concerns like job, school, etc
I told her to ignore it and act on her gut feelings and blow everybody else's rules.
(It worked out okay in the end for her and her family, and not too much trauma or damage they couldn't handle.)
Those are difficult situations where you know you need to run for safety and schools and work are saying no. 
I would still want to trust my instinct and do the safe thing.

Too often people are warned and told to evacuate and they refuse to go until it is too late. Then they have to flee and the pets are not looked after. Sadly with hurricane Florence people who stayed had a tree fall on their house and a mother and baby are dead. We don't always take threats seriously and the consequences can be deadly.

It is always best to at least have a plan and the right supplies to survive a situation that is likely to happen.
Catherine