Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A spider party?
A town in Greece is being inundated with spider webs. There is a 1000 foot stretch of web. It is quite a sight, but don't worry they are not dangerous.  The conditions were good this year so they are eating and mating and generally having a good time.

www.sciencealert.com/1-000-feet-of-spider-web-have-taken-over-a-town-in-greece-aitoliko-tetragnatha

This is interesting. This phenomena has happened in other places. When the conditions are right and there are enough spiders they go wild with the web spinning and cover an area. It would be really different to see something like this. Why aren't people rushing to take selfies with the spiders.  This is an unusual situation. Most of us will never encounter it. 

I can't picture a 1000 foot spider web. Looking at the video in the article I am amazed at what small spiders can do.  How were they able to cover whole trees with webbing? That is a lot of spider silk!
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh wow! That's amazing.

Yes why don't people rush out to take "selfies" with the spiders??

Actually it's not so rare. Well, that particular web-building is, and it is also vey thick and noticeable, but spiders do generally make many webs in vast quantities
Sometimes when I have got up early on a fine summer morning, and walked in the orchard or the fields, I have seen vast areas of grass covered completely with webs. For hundreds of acres! In fact, as far as the grass exists. And with no breaks. Very tiny spiders created them, and I never see the spiders -just the webs.
But people generally don't notice them, because of a couple of reasons:
They don't walk out in that sort of landscape just after dawn,
Or, their own lawns are trimmed very short indeed, and there are fewer webs on grass like that.
I have never seen anything like that. It requires spiders that will work together to cover an area.

I have seen a large web produced by on large garden spider.

https://youtu.be/SyYD6ku5BsM

The web can be big, but there is only one spider.

I am going to watch and see if I can find a mass of webs like that.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine