Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Larsen Traps--cruelty to birds
(09-27-2018, 06:54 PM)Catslave Wrote: Totally against type of trapping,hunting and shooting I can't honestly see what people get out of any of it.

I agree with you Catslave.

It's forgivable when people live in situations (like the Inuit, Siberians, and others) where they have to hunt to survive, and have no other options. But they don't kill for fun or sport or because they have no Heart or are brain-dead.
I have never figured out how some guy in fancy gear with a fancy rifle can consider himself a hunter. The put out bait for the bears in the spring. They use helicopters and high powered rifles.
Setting out traps for birds and releasing birds for killing I just more of the same.

They are not hunters and I don't think they respect the land or the creatures in it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(09-28-2018, 03:29 PM)Catherine Wrote: I don't think they respect the land or the creatures in it.

The woman who owns the orchard land suspected me (this was in early 2012)
She accosted me saying damage had been done to the traps and did I know anything about it? I had only just arrived back from a whole day out with Misty.
I answered, "Did that happen today?"
She ummed and aahed...
"If it happened today, " I said, "Then I haven't even been here and have been out in the woods with my dog all day."
(How to lie even though I hate lying. However what I said was true!)

Then she started to explain to me why they set the traps...
"We don't like the nasty Crows and Magpies. We like to support the beautiful songbirds."

It was Easter Sunday. I asked if she'd been to Church. She said yes.
"What do you think Jesus would have done? Watched them suffer or set them free?" I asked. At that point I knew I was implicating myself but had to say it anyway.
She didn't have an answer.

That was her rationale. The Crows and Magpies were mean, the songbirds were lovely. So the suffering of the birds was a racial discrimination.

It seems they have no understanding or ability to see the natural balance of the wild.
It's the circle of life eliminating species upsets the balance of nature silly woman.
Quote:It's the circle of life eliminating species upsets the balance of nature silly woman.
Quote:It seems they have no understanding or ability to see the natural balance of the wild.
They miss the whole point of how nature works. You can't save one type of species over another. Even if crows and magpies are predators and cause the death of smaller birds, they help keep the other species healthy. 

I have never seen a crow kill a song bird. I have seen them eating animals that are already dead. I think they serve an important clean-up function for the environment. 

The woman with the orchard had no proof that you broke the traps or she would have reported you.  I think your answer was good, especially when you questioned her about Easter.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine