Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pet proof Christmas tree?
Anyone who has a pet knows why this could be a good idea. I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a try.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6437213/Argos-unveils-33-HALF-trees-prevent-playful-pets-destroying-festive-decorations.html

It is not the prettiest looking tree and I wonder if it would work. I am sure most cats could climb the trunk.
I have had trouble with hamsters pulling things off the tree. I have had a lizard living on a Christmas tree and I didn't find it until I was undecorating. I didn.t even know it was out.
I have had a snake take  to the tree and wrap around the trunk and have fun exploring. She brought the whole tree down when she decided to move on.

So far my only solution is to put unbreakable ornaments on the bottom of the tree and pick them up after the pet has brought them down.
So what do you think of the half tree? Would it work?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's not a bad idea and looks quite nice. I don't think a cat would climb it but a pup or even cat could nibble at the electric wiring which appears to go to the base of the trunk....

It is very hard to have anything in a house which a cat won't mess with or jump on. Dogs are often more sensible but pups aren't.

But it's wise to also consider some dogs are highly likely to view the Christmas tree as a "tree" and nothing else....and might pee up against it! That wouldn't do either the electric wiring -or the doggy -any good!

I recall when I was 8 and we had a new pup that Christmas. She was only about 9 or 10 weeks old. My mother built a guard contraption out of an old fireguard, and that encircled the tree, so the little pup couldn't get near it.
Quote: I recall when I was 8 and we had a new pup that Christmas. She was only about 9 or 10 weeks old. My mother built a guard contraption out of an old fireguard, and that encircled the tree, so the little pup couldn't get near it.
That was creative thinking. I am sure a pup couldn't resist something bright and shinny like a Christmas tree.

Good point about a dog peeing on the tree. Normally dogs wouldn't get close to a tree with needles, but the half tree would be irresistible.

I usually tie the tree to the ceiling and put the unbreakable ornaments on the bottom. This Christmas I am pretty sure the bunny will be pulling things off the tree. I shall have to decorate creatively so bunny and tree will both be safe.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine