Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mexican Salamanders on the verge of extinction
The Mexican salamander or Axolotl is an amazing creature. They have the ability to regenerate tissue that is lost or damaged. They can even regenerate heart muscle. We could learn so much by studying them. We may not get the chance. After 2000 years of living near humans they are now on the verge of extinction.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/11/22...ngered.cnn

It is beginning to look like our generation is the most destructive this planet has ever known. Creatures have lived along side us for centuries and now they are declining in numbers. We don't just use our environment we abuse our environment.

I hope that the efforts being made to save the Axolotl are enough. It would be a great loss on so many levels if the disappear.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sadly I can't play that video format.

But what an awful shame. What is it that is endangering them? Obviously human life, but in what way?

It is a creature we could learn a lot from. However...knowing humans' track record with discovering the wisdom of Nature, what suffering would they cause these Salamanders if they hold the secret of organ/cell regeneration?
Hopefully a kind way could be found, both to encourage their continuation as a species, plus treat them well!
I am reposting the link incase it helps.

/www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/11/22/news-stream-stout-zambrano-axolotl-mexican-salamander-endangered.cnn

This is a different article. It lacks a video, but you should be able to access it. I will warn you that it talks about how axolotls were used in the labs. We have definitely abused this species. As usual we are trying to force secrets from a species rather than working by observation and much kinder means.

https://qz.com/1304554/the-axolotl-natur...xtinction/

They can actually regrow body parts. Lizards who regrow their tails don't regrow a perfect replacement. It lacks the length or the bone structure. It is stubby tail, but better than nothing.

Axolotls can really regrow things. It is an amazing ability. There are things we could learn from the species, but we go about it is a cruel way so we don't deserve the knowledge. The species may be gone before we can learn anything anyhow. Who knows how many of nature's benefits we have lost because we have destroyed things before we could learn from them.
Catherine

Very unique creatures, could allmost think they came to Earth in a crashed spaceship
Entertaining and educational pet videos at TinyPetsTube. Also on YouTube with weekly animal videos
Yes they are very different. They also have a unique ability to regrow body parts. No other species does the regrowth so completely.
Catherine