Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are more Gorillas in the Mist.
Smile 
When I got my first computer a decade ago I looked up articles about the Mountain Gorillas. It was terrifying. There were less than 700 left and poachers were killing them in alarming numbers. I sat at the computer and cried.
Now their numbers have improved and there are more than a thousand mountain gorillas.

https://www.apnews.com/3abf79bf3f014a858029ceb4a84f2b01

There has been a deliberate effort made to save the gorillas. They live in a small area of the world but they span three countries. 
Ecotourism and well funded conservation efforts have played a part.  The Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund has done its part. Preserving the gorilla habitat and providing the protection of rangers trained to look out for the gorilla safety. Trained doctors to help injured gorillas has played a part.  This is a conservation success story and we should all feel proud. The efforts of many have played a part.
They are still a very vulnerable species, but I think Dian Fossey would be happy. She gave her life for the Mountain Gorillas. I am glad it was not in vain. She should still be here to see this. At least those of us who remember her are here to see it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine