Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third party sale of pets banned in the UK
This is a happy new year gift to  pets. The banning of third party sales of pets blocks puppy mills (and other pet breeders). It stops them from breeding and selling quantities of animals that are raised in terrible conditions. People will now have to buy direct from the breeder. If the breeder has to sell directly then they can be monitored and inspected. 

dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/2019/01/03/third-party-sales-of-puppies-to-be-banned-in-blow-to-puppy-farmers/?fbclid=IwAR2nIBpdNkxI2Vqp5WVO2fN1QsD3HZB03qdK9ugyTYK5j3oopMY3Q1nzxUg

No doubt unscrupulous breeders will still try to find ways around these rules, but it won't be as easy to exploit animals.
Females will be freed from bearing litter after litter until they are discarded. It is going to take more work to break the puppy mill cycle, it can be done. Educating the public will help, but this law goes way past that in one quick step. We can catch the public up about why the law exists after the fact.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good news, indeed. I just hope that the USA does the same soon.....
This is good news indeed.
There were some awful puppy mills in Wales, so I heard.

I agree with LPC.....Let's hope the USA follows suit!
Where I live in the state of Victoria Australia the same law has been brought in,the rest of Australia hasn't caught up yet but there has been a bit of pressure to do so.
I believe California is doing the same thing. Ontario doesn't allow dog and cat sales from pet stores. 
Gradually this is spreading. Once one state or province bans 3rd party pet sales, the rest of the country feels the pressure to do the same thing. This is something that is going to happen. We will stop the puppy mills. Or at least we will stop them from selling in pet stores. 
I think puppy mills will look for ways to make sales online instead. We will have to monitor places like Kijiji for pet sales. It is an ongoing fight. Some people want to make money by exploiting animals.

It is important now that we educate people about puppy mills. If no one is willing to buy the puppies then the puppy mills will go out of business. It will take more time, but we can be happy about each victory.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine