Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save-On Foods BC barrs therapy/support dogs.
For years a woman has brought her emotional support do to Save-On Foods when she shops. Chloe is a registered support dog and she wears a vest. The store still allows guide dogs because that is the law. The law doesn't cover other types of service dogs so they will not be allowed.

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/the...ery-store/

Chloe is a trained dog and she has papers. She has been in the store many times. It seems unfair to ban he now. It makes it hard for her owner to shop there.  The whole emotional support animal issue is in a turmoil right now. People try to bring a whole range of odd animals into places by claiming they are support animals. In some case it is questionable. However it seems unfair to ban a well behaved registered dog that has been in the store many times.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What the store manager there ought to have done, and still should do, is check the dog's paperwork.
I presume it would be quite easy for people with genuine support animals, to carry a card or paperwork with them?

It sounds very unfair that the woman and her dog have been allowed in there for ages....now suddenly not! How ridiculous and not good for her as she must need that store!
The manager could have checked her paperwork. Certainly after 3 years it is strange for the store to ban the dog.

I think the real problem is the way the law is worded. Stores have to accommodate working service dogs.  It is not worded to include therapy and emotional support dogs. Both kinds of dogs are working, but I am not sure people take the work of emotional support dogs seriously. There are actual working emotional support dogs who are trained to help people.

Too many people take a random pet and claim it is a support animal. There are people who have fake paperwork. Since those animals are not trained they often behave badly. It gives service dogs a bad name. They need to regulate the service dog situation better. They need to regulate the people who provide service animals. Some of the animals being provided by less ethical suppliers are not actually trained dogs. It creates problems for everyone. I am thinking of a particular story, but I will have to look for it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine