Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animals and winter
I came across an interesting article about animals and their adaptations to the winter months. Personally I eat richer food and pack on layers of clothing. Many animals are not that different. They eat more and put on layers of  fat and grow a thicker winter coat. There are other interesting ways animals handle the long cold winter.

https://earthsky.org/earth/wildlife-in-winter

I used to have goldfish in my pond outside and they wintered under the ice. It was amazing to see them swimming again after the ice melted. When I had dwarf hamsters they hibernated. Even being inside with food and warmth wouldn't stop them.
Right now my Hognose snakes are starting a hibernation. I stopped feeding them a couple of weeks ago and I will turn off their lighting and let them sleep. They will be happier if I let them do this. They will be hungry when they wake up some time in March. They will wake up hissy and huffy and grouchy, but they will still be better for having the dormant time. 

Nature is able to adapt to any conditions. The dwarf hamsters were from Russia and my Hognose snakes are from western Canada. Both are places with serious winter conditions. Hibernating is natural too them. Our local raccoons are hibernating. Our squirrels sleep on the cold days and come out when it is warmer. Some of the birds fly south to southern Canada and winter in the "warmer" weather here. In the arctic the polar bears will be sleeping.   I will stick with my heavy winter coat, but I admit on a cold day the hibernation sounds  like a good idea.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine