Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The seagull patrol, a dog's dream job.
Australia has problems with seagulls messing up some of its public places, like the Sydney Opera House and the Australian Maritime Museum. The museum "hired" Bailey, a border collie to protect the place from seagulls. They got the idea from Canadian airports that employ dogs to chase the gulls.

www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2019/01/seagull-patrol-meet-the-dogs-protecting-sydney/?fbclid=IwAR2Gs2w6NTxlovb_2Iz9XxrOYWkm-rVuw8t-7Na-jIE9RgcU6Qd7Pj5Oak0

It is working! It is working so well that the opera house has tried out dogs and it is working for them. 
This is a great idea. It protects the buildings without hurting the gulls and it provides a job for a working dog who is much happier with something to do.

I like the idea that they are using rescue working dogs. It certainly solves the problem of what to do with a dog that likes to chase birds.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's a great idea and all these dogs were rescue dogs as well.
It helps keep the gulls from being a problem and it provides a "job" for a rescue working dog. Dogs like that are high energy and they would love a day outside walking and chasing birds. It is the perfect placement for some rescue dogs.
Catherine

What a good idea! Running on the beach all day!
Yes that's a dream job for a Spaniel for instance, or any working-type breed.
I wonder if the dog has to have a cv prepared .... Smiley4
Quote:I wonder if the dog has to have a cv prepared .... [Image: smiley4.gif]
I wonder if there is a job interview and how would that work out.  Maybe they just take the dog out and if  it chases and barks at gulls it is hired. 

Dream job for a cat would be a mattress tester. Dream job for a guinea pig would be quality control tester at a vegetable market.

We should be hiring dogs for a lot more jobs. There are many things they are perfectly suited to do and they really want to do them.
Catherine