Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protecting your pets from the cold.
It is winter and every year we need to remember our pets when we deal with the cold weather.
This article has some helpful suggestions.

www.wzzm13.com/article/life/pets/keeping-our-pets-warm-and-safe-in-the-cold-winter-weather/69-c6eab815-8b68-419d-94fc-908ab16f9b8f

However you handle the cold and whatever temperatures you have to deal with it is always important to think of your pet. The cold and the ice and the salt can cause real discomfort for a pet.
Salt in particular and de-icers can be harmful for pets.

https://wqow.com/news/top-stories/2019/0...your-pets/

Just being aware and watching for signs of problems can make winter less of a problem for your pet. Good coats and boots are always in style and your pet will thank you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks for this thread Catherine!
Even when we love them and always look out for them, there are still things we could miss!

I used to make sure Misty had a coat on in cold weather snow and ice, only removed sometimes if she had been running a LOT.
Her feet always seemed okay. I never saw ice build up there. I didn't give her boots to wear, but always kept an eye on that.

Dogs can gather snow in between the toe-pads of their feet and if it is below freezing, that snow can freeze, causing injury. Sometimes it can be very bad, so the dog can't walk.

Some breeds of dogs don't have much hair in between pads, and their feet are very delicate. They really do need snow boots.
Even dogs with hairy feet can pick up snow that freezes on their feet, so boots are a thought....

There are many things that are okay for us (such as walking on a gritted, salted road) but are no good for our dogs.
We do a post like this every year. I am a little late this time.

In the cities they use a lot of salt on the roads and sidewalks and it can really hurt dogs feet. Sometimes it is not actual salt, but another compound and it can be toxic to dogs. They sell pet friendly products, but that doesn't mean your neighbours will use them. It is something that city dogs have problems with.

Misty must have had the right kind of feet for the cold weather.  Dogs with tiny little feet really feel the cold. Dogs with massive amounts of fur can get ice collecting on the fur between the toes. Her pads would have been thick enough and the fur enough to cover the feet without trapping ice. I can't picture Misty wearing boots. She knew she didn't need them.

I see a lot of boots and coats right now. City dogs need boots in many places and short haired dogs need coats. The smart dogs are happy to wear their winter clothes and be comfortable.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine