Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German city seizes dog to settle family's debts!
A family's pet pug was seized by officials in the city of Ahlen, Germany, and was auctioned on ebay to settle the family's debts!
https://www.rt.com/news/452813-german-ci...-pug-debt/

I have no words that adequately or politely describe what I am thinking about such a thing....

But beside that....dogs auctioned on ebay??
The whole thing is shocking and scandalous. I hope this city and any other city will hesitate to do anything like this again.
The family has suffered a terrible loss with the father being paralyzed. They should be finding ways to help them, not taking their only joy away. It sounds like person who bought the dog does not really appreciate her. I think the dog needs to be returned to her family.
She needs them and they need her.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I was so confused for a minute. I had posted on the other thread and then I saw this one. It's so awful.
In our eagerness to post this two of us have posted at the same time. I think we should leave both posts.

This whole thing is unbelievable. The family was in need. Why didn't people help them instead of taking their dog.
The dog should be returned to them. Instead of auctioning the dog they should have done a fundraiser to help out.
I wouldn't want to live in or even visit a place like that.
Catherine

Well, to most of us, worldwide I guess, what those city officials did is outrageous.
But I also sense a dire warning.
Many pedigree dogs are worth a lot of money. Some spaniels for instance can fetch over £1,500. I don't know enough about it but some dogs could fetch even more than that.

And dogs are legally viewed as "property".

Let's hope I am wrong with my feelings of ill-omen.

I can't imagine the woman who bought the dog doing this....but the sweetest thing to do would be let all that money go, and give the dog back to her family. I would do that.
Quote:I can't imagine the woman who bought the dog doing this....but the sweetest thing to do would be let all that money go, and give the dog back to her family. I would do that.
It would be a very good thing to do. I wonder if she would consider doing it.

I hear you about the feelings of ill-omen. 

It is troubling that a pet can be seized to cover debt.
It is troubling that the dog was auctioned off. That makes it worse.

Purebred dogs are now worth a lot of money. 
They could become the objects of seizures, thefts and even kidnappings.(Dog Nappings?)

They are already stealing dogs to eat in China. This could become a very dangerous time for people's pet dogs. It will help if the city backs down and undoes the damage they have done to this family and their dog.
Catherine

Believe it, pedigree dogs are often stolen and held to ransom. And sometimes just stolen to sell on. Puppies can be stolen too, which is extra cruel, as those are usually not ready to leave their mothers.
There are many such instances on the UK website doglost.co.uk from time to time. There is even advice outlined there, in how to deal with such crimes.
I had no idea there were actual thefts like that. I would hope that people would be very careful with their dogs (and Cats) and not leave them where they can be stolen. It would be frightening for any dog to be taken. It would be worse for a puppy. People stealing a puppy for money might not know  how to care for a puppy properly and they might not care how much they traumatize the puppy.

This really is a dangerous time for pets.
Catherine