Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mannequinn helps old dog with separation anxiety
This is a funny, but also helpful story.  Shorty used to travel with Marc when he was working, but Shorty is now too old for that.
When Marc was away Shorty was very unhappy and anxious. They tried using an old shirt to comfort the dog, but it didn't work. 
Someone got the bright idea of dressing a mannequin in Marc's clothes. They made the mannequin look like Marc and then they put Shorty in his arms. It worked!  Farc(Fake Marc) provides the comfort that Shorty needs.

https://people.com/pets/senior-dog-separation-anxiety/

It was a brilliant idea. I am sure it could be used to help other dogs. If a dog can find comfort in the arms of a mannequin when you are away then it is worth it. 

I wonder if it would help a dog who has lost their person through death.
Would cats respond the same? I think they would not, but you never know.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well that's an interesting idea...and I'm glad it worked to help to comfort Shorty.
It certainly did help me a little bit to be able to catch Misty's scent sometimes from items around the place. So I can imagine the scent of the clothes, and the semblance of a figure, could possibly help.
I suppose it does depend on the dog to some extent. But it's interesting.
The mannequin wasn't the man, but it was like the man and had his scent. For some dogs that would be enough of a reminder to bring comfort. I am sure Shorty isn't fooled, but having her people go to all that trouble would be a comfort. Something like this would be worth trying if you had a pet that was very anxious and missing someone.

I stayed with a friend when her baby was very small and I wore her dirty sweatshirt and held the baby. She snuggled up to me and slept which gave my friend a chance to sleep. I wasn't the mother and the baby knew the difference, but there was enough familiarity for her to relax and sleep.

Dogs have a better sense of smell so it would take more than a sweatshirt. I wonder if anyone else has tried the same thing or something like it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine