Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trend continues
So it looks like we are inherenting my aunt’s bird, KK.  My dad’s sister has been trying to get me to take her sun conure, KK, for the past few years.  She hasn’t been able to give her as much attention and time to her and has been looking for someone capable of taking care of her.  So we came up to Cincinnati, Ohio this weekend to have a mini vacation.  We went to the Horror Hound convention and to see my cousins 5 week old baby.  So I had a feeling she was really going to try and get us to take KK this time.  My husband and I have been talking about wanting to get a bird eventually we just wanted to wait for the right time.  So it really wasn’t that long to convince us to take her.  Ever since we got married I’ve told Kasey about being able to take KK so he’s been well aware of how much I want her and how easy it would be to get her.  It was just a matter of know if we had time or not.
So we got here and of course it started.  My aunt had me take KK out Saturday morning and kept encouraging me to spend time with her.  This was of course to get me to bond with her so I would be more likely to take her.  I of course wanted to spend time with her because I love all animals.  She preceded to climb from my hand to my shoulder and started grooming, nibbling, and licking my face. After a while she snuggled under my chin and started to go to sleep.  At that point my heart melted and Kasey was going to have to talk me out of taking KK if he wasn’t ready to take her.  I did give him plenty of opportunity to say no and I didn’t push it.  Honest!  I think we both knew it was inevitable though.  He’s actually brought up wanting a bird more than I have so it was going to happen.
She’s giving us everything to care of her at no cost.  I immediately started researching sun conure care before my aunt even started telling me her basic care lol.  So when she was telling me her care and I was already able to spout sun conure care and what not to do she knew she knew KK was in good hands.
KK is 13 so she still has a good number of years left. I’ve seen numbers between 3-50 years so with any luck she will have a good long life with us. She’s in great health so hopefully this transition won’t mess her up too much. My hope is since she’s already bonding with me and will have all of her things that she will transition pretty well.

This was when KK was starting to snuggle.
https://www.instagram.com/myparadog/p/Bv...jp4yncol2f

Here is KK grooming me.  It tickles so much!!
https://www.instagram.com/myparadog/p/Bv...s3skr179ft
That's wonderful sounds like she really likes you.
Sun Conures are beautiful! (I only know the green ones) KK is a lovely bird and so well tamed. 
You know it was inevitable that you would take KK. There is no point in fighting it. The bird needed a good home and you and Kasey are the right people to do it.  I am sure you will handle the transition very well and the bird will settle in with no trouble.
Having the birds things will make it feel more at home. KK already knows you and likes you so that helps.

I don't know if we are ever ready for yet another rescue or rehoming. We just do it because it needs to be done. 
The bird is not a baby anymore, but could still live 35 years or more. You are young enough to be there for all of KK's life. 

You wanted a bird and KK is a beautiful bird. It is a perfect match. Congratulations and all the best in bringing home your newest family member.  
When I glanced at the tittle of this thread, I thought you got another dog. The fact that it was a bird thread should have tipped me off. Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

"I don't know if we are ever ready for yet another rescue or rehoming. We just do it because it needs to be done.
The bird is not a baby anymore, but could still live 35 years or more. You are young enough to be there for all of KK's life."

Seeing as my aunt has been trying to give me the bird for the past 5+ years it's really I long time coming. She hatched October 2005 and my aunt has had her since she was 2 months old. She started to realize that the bird was likely to out live her and her 2 son's didn't want her. They love her but they both know they couldn't give her the right care and attention. Which I'm super proud of them for realizing that. I plan to be her last home. If anything does happen where I can't keep her then she will go back to my aunt. As long as nothing super weird happens we should fine with keep miss KK.

Also KK is short for Killer Kiwi! I knew KK was short for something but until today I just only knew her as KK. How cute is that?! My goal is to get her talking again. She does a lot of clicks, squawks, and grumbles, but I've only heard her say KK once. That was in the car at the beginning of our car ride today. When I first saw her years ago she was saying all kinds of things and she was hard to get to stop talking, like I said she hasn't had enough attention the past few years. KK however loves to dance especially to anything with a good beat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvK6pE0hPlQ/?hl=en
As you can see in one of the videos she even dances to just tongue clicks.
Killer Kiwi is a funny name. Are Sun Conures from New Zealand? I am sure there is a story behind the name.
KK really is pretty and she looks very tame. Was she hand raised? 

You aunt was wise to rehome KK now. She will bond with you and spend most of her life with you. You have other animals so you will never be far from home. You and me both, we need to be there for our animals. Taking any kind of trip requires a lot of planning. My dream vacation is time at home with the ones that I love.

I wonder how the dogs will react to KK. If she learns to say things in your voice it will be very funny. She will be able to tease them.  If KK talked before she should be willing to talk again. Do you remember the things she used to say? 

I notice in one of your pictures that there are flowers outside. I am sure KK will enjoy your weather better than what she has had. It is still pretty cold further north. Did you visit the Cincinnati zoo while you were there? The big Silverback gorilla is one of our Toronto babies.
Catherine

Sun conure or Sun parakeet are found in South America.  She was hand raised.  My Aunt got her her when she was 2 months old and had to syringe feed her at first.
Here's some basic info on sun conures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_parakeet

KK actually chases the dogs away.  She runs after them and will bit them if the get too close.  Graham and Bullet are scared of her, Regina wants to love on her but she just gets bitten for her efforts.  I'm considering calling her Kiwi, but I'm holding onto KK for now because she can say it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvNItz8h3Mt/
She loves the screened in porch but she's still a little scared of her surroundings.  The flowering tree is a peach tree.  We don't really get any good fruit from it though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvNVNzbB0uw/ This is the first time KK has let Kasey hold her.  She walked over to him all by herself.  I just sat real close and waited for her to realize he was taller  Smiley4

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvNkvfxB1eO/
Butt scratches!  After she was outside for a while she calmed down and was begging for butt and under wing scratches.  This is really the first time she's raised her wings like that for me but you can tell she's super happy!

Considering these birds have been known to starve themselves when getting new owners I feel super blessed that she is so happy and comfortable with us.
KK is clearly very happy with you. She has definitely accepted Kasey in her life. You took her from winter and people who cared, but didn't have enough time for her and you have given her spring and two people who dote on her. She has every reason to be happy. Your screened in porch is ideal for her. She can have fresh air and sunshine in safety. Can you let her fly free in the porch?

It is funny that she scares the dogs. She intends to establish herself and make them respect her. I wonder if they will ever be friends.

Your aunt put a lot into raising KK if she hand fed her like that. We are hand feeding two baby Senegal parrots at the reptile centre and it is a lot of work. My job is to hold them sometimes so they will be more socialized. Hand raised babies are so sweet and tame. I bet she could learn to say Kiwi just as easy as KK. 

I am still amazed at how beautiful she is. Her colours are so vibrant. She is happy with you and you are going to have years of fun with her.
Catherine

(03-20-2019, 03:03 PM)Catherine Wrote: KK is clearly very happy with you. She has definitely accepted Kasey in her life. You took her from winter and people who cared, but didn't have enough time for her and you have given her spring and two people who dote on her. She has every reason to be happy. Your screened in porch is ideal for her. She can have fresh air and sunshine in safety. Can you let her fly free in the porch?

It is funny that she scares the dogs. She intends to establish herself and make them respect her. I wonder if they will ever be friends.

Your aunt put a lot into raising KK if she hand fed her like that. We are hand feeding two baby Senegal parrots at the reptile centre and it is a lot of work. My job is to hold them sometimes so they will be more socialized. Hand raised babies are so sweet and tame. I bet she could learn to say Kiwi just as easy as KK. 

I am still amazed at how beautiful she is. Her colours are so vibrant. She is happy with you and you are going to have years of fun with her.

Her wings are clipped so she can’t fly right now but she can glide.  My aunt always got her wings clipped so she didn’t fly into a wall or window.  She’s due to get groomed in the next couple months but I don’t think I’ll get her wings clipped until I know if it’s even a problem.  I don’t like the idea of her not being able to fly.  I’m not worried about her accidently getting out because we take precautions to make sure that doesn’t happen.  She is beautiful!  Even with all her new feathers coming I love just looking at her. 

I hope that once she sees the dogs wont hurt her that she will calm down.  She just came from a home with a 1yr old 8lb white fluff ball dog that they’ve had since the she was 8 weeks old.  So she’s used to crazy puppy energy, jumping and trying to play.  She gets quite violent when the dogs are too close.  She will bite my shoulder trying to bite at them but she’s a good 5ft away.  KK is super sweet to humans though.  My aunt has said she’s not as crazy about men but she took to Kasey so quickly it may just be that my aunt was the only one that really gave her attention.  She loves to snuggle.  She will rub her head on my cheek for love.  She sticks her butt up in the air and raises her wings to get scratches.  She fluffles up so much and chitters.  At my aunts she would squawk and and screech all the time.  Every time I’ve visited she was always really loud.  Since we’ve brought her home she’s been totally quiet except for when the dogs bark when I come home and she will scream if I haven’t come to say hi to her occasionally.  I have Kasey play with her for about 20 minutes and feed her before he goes to sleep in the morning.  I’m usually at work by that point.  I get home around noon most days and then I’ll let her out as I’m let the dogs outside and showering. Then my husband will wake up around 2 and then Kasey gets her and we will sit out on the deck and just talk and play with her.  Then she get back to her cage for food and water.  Then I’ll usually get her out as I’m walking around the house getting ready for bed.  So she’s out of her cage about 8 hours a day now compared to her couple hours in the morning with my aunt the past 6 years for so.  I’ve upped her food variety as well.  I give her 3-5 different things where my aunt was just giving her banana one day, carrots the next, maybe some green beans the next…
I can tell she so happy.  The first few times I tried to hold her she would bite my hand if I tried to pick her up at the wrong time.  Since she’s been getting more attention she hasn’t bitten at all! She was just so lonely.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUgvnEhO6P/
I built her the beginnings of a jungle gym out on the deck today.  I want to get more toys and bowls for food and water so my husband and I can sit out there with her and play games or read.  It’s really nice out there lately.
I am glad you are letting KKs wing feathers grow back. She could have fun flying in your screened in porch. It would be such good exercise for her. Building her a jungle gym is even better. It will give her a chance to really just be a bird and enjoy life. She could play with everything while you just relax and take it easy. You will all have a great summer together.

You and Kasey are giving her lots of attention and she is going to thrive with you. Parrots need a lot interaction and most people just can't do it. I bet she learns to talk again. You said she was hand raised so she still wants lots of human interaction.  Once she realizes that you are going to give her all that care maybe she will mellow towards the dogs. She is still new with you. All the changes in her life must be a little over whelming even if they are good changes. It would be better if she started liking the dogs.
Maybe when she can fly she will feel more secure. How long will it take for her feathers to grow back?
Catherine

I have just seen her on your Instagram page, Libby. She is so beautiful! Her plumage is gorgeous. Those flame colours with green.... Heart  And she has that look about her....affectionate and full of character.
Yes I am sure she'll really like a jungle gym.

(Hello to all your doggies too!)