Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning:Online pet meds could be counterfeit
Veterinarians are putting out a warning about online pet medications.  They may be cheaper, but they may not be the medication you think you are paying for.

https://abc3340.com/news/local/veterinar...ounterfeit

They make a very good point. The same problem exists with online human medications. If the meds don't contain the actual medicine needed then the pet doesn't get the benefits the medication would have brought. Worse, the meds could contain something else that could cause actual harm to the pet. So with online pills there could be a lack of what's needed or the presence of something dangerous or both. Online saves money, but it is not always worth the risk.

If you plan to order online at least try to find a site that has a good reputation.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Canada is one of the few countries in the world which allows pet medicines to be sold without a prescription from a vet. The USA is also fairly lax on the issue.

In most other countries you can't buy prescription medicines online. The UK and EU countries are very strict on this issue.

It is perhaps an issue of "freedom of action" -v- protection of health, with different countries reaching different conclusions on where the emphasis should be. "America, land of the free...." etc.
We can buy a lot of human medications online as well. It is a little scary some of the stuff I can buy off the shelf in the regular drug store or even a Walmart. I can buy antibiotics for fish in a regular pet store. There is nothing to guarantee that I will use them properly or even use them for fish.
We are not as carefully regulated as the UK and the EU. 

People who don't know what they are doing can buy meds and create worse health problems by their misuse.
When you add to that the problem of counterfeit medications we have medical disasters in the making.
Catherine

It's good you posted this warning, Catherine. Yes, there are many dubious sites online where medicines can be bought. Even some of the more fair and decent ones may not be able to trace every product right down the line.

But I have always found Petmeds UK to be an excellent site. I needed Misty's ACE inhibitors prescription regularly, and saved a lot by ordering from them
Our vet was supportive of them too, and said they were very good.
They firstly will not deal with any prescription medications without direct contact with the vet concerned, and a prescription emailed or faxed from the vet.
Their medicines are genuine.

This page on their site explains about their commitment:
https://www.petmeds.co.uk/about-us

But that is just one site, and there are many others, so being especially careful is wise.

Quote: But I have always found Petmeds UK to be an excellent site. I needed Misty's ACE inhibitors prescription regularly, and saved a lot by ordering from them
Our vet was supportive of them too, and said they were very good.
They firstly will not deal with any prescription medications without direct contact with the vet concerned, and a prescription emailed or faxed from the vet.
Their medicines are genuine.
You can tell a site like this is genuine. They require a prescription to get prescription medications. They are not trying to replace people's vets. They don't hand over potentially dangerous medication to random people over the internet. They are careful where they get their medications from.

I have never looked into online sites, but some of the North American ones are questionable. Unless you are sure of the site, the medications could be fake in some way. They might not contain the medication or amount of medication they claim to contain. Worse they might contain something different and potentially harmful.

What we need is a list of safe sites so people know where to go. I understand the need to seek a cheaper medication source. Some pet meds are as expensive as people meds.
Catherine

This also looks like another safe site. VetUK:
https://www.vetuk.co.uk/about-veterinary.../chapter/0
I have never used this one but the page above bodes well for the way their service is run and regulated.

But this is only in the UK, as was the last one I posted.
VetUK is a serious site. They spell out in great detail the conditions under which they will sell medications. They also make a good point that they are more of a place to buy ongoing medications for long term care. They recommend that critical care emergency meds be bought locally. That is very responsible of them.

I did a bit of a search and there are many online sites for pet meds in Canada. I am not familiar with any of them, but they require a prescription from a veterinarian. I did find a 1-800 number for pet meds in the USA.  They require a prescription for certain meds.

A lot of these sites seem to be accredited with some sort of National Pharmacy Board.
I would think sites like that are probably legitimate. Places that don't require a prescription would be more questionable.

I  had no idea the pet medication industry was so big. Like people our pets seem to be taking a lot of pills these days.
Catherine