Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farmer who killed birds fined $15 K
An Australian apple farmer decided to shoot Lorikeets on his property. He was caught with the birds and the gun that killed them.
He has lost his gun license and been fined $15,000 dollars. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-05/r...s/10976492

The fine sends a strong message that killing native birds will not be tolerated. It is good that Australia is protecting its birds and other wildlife so strongly. So many species are at risk. If they do not stand strong in the protection of wildlife many species could be lost.  The large fine will discourage others from risking the killing of wildlife. We could wish that all people would want to protect wildlife, but if it takes heavy fines to protect the birds then so be it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good. No farmer would want to risk losing $15,000.
I can only hope this won't just change their methods of exterminating what they consider to be "pests"....such as poisoned bait which may be hard to trace the source of.
I am sure the birds don't do that much damage. They can use nets to protect the fruit. Why can't people learn to live with nature. 

You are right about the fine. It would be a deterrent. You are right that some farmers might try a less obvious way to get rid of the birds. I hope not. They don't realize that the birds are an essential part of a healthy ecosystem. They need to see them as a benefit, not a liability.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine