Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK reduces the number of animals used in lab tests
The UK has reduced the numbers of animals used in lab tests. Compared to earlier times there are 1 million fewer animals used in lab tests every year. It is not perfect, 3.7 million animals are still used in labs, but it is still a big improvement.

https://www.livekindly.co/uk-eliminated-...-40-years/

It is a movement in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.  Animal tests have been shown to be ineffective so there is still a strong need to move further away from animal testing. We can celebrate the improvement and still keep pushing for an end to all animal testing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-20-2019, 04:40 PM)Catherine Wrote: It is a movement in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.  Animal tests have been shown to be ineffective so there is still a strong need to move further away from animal testing. We can celebrate the improvement and still keep pushing for an end to all animal testing.

It is good progress, and let's hope these cruel tests will soon become outdated. I suppose there is still the die-hard faction among scientists that believe it works. But gradually we are learning it doesn't really help humans.
I can't wait for the day it is all ended. It has been a long time now.
I think partly they have a whole structure in place that uses animals and changing that means retraining people, changing methods of research and repurposing the facilities that exist to house the research animals.

It would cost money and time and effort. Some people would rather continue to do things the wrong way than to change to a better more effective way of doing research.

It is hard to bring about change in big structures. We cling to old things and old ways and when there is also a cost to the change we fight change even more.

In the mean time, animals still suffer in labs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine