Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hundreds of dogs await Yulin Dog Meat Festival
Thank-you for finding more petitions. I signed of course.

Quote:So would a zoonotic flu outbreak. I don't know how likely such a thing would be beween dogs and humans, but I wouldn't rule it off as impossible, given those circumstances.

The dogs are kept in terrible conditions so the spread of any disease is likely if there was an infected dog.
One animal with rabies could cause a major outbreak of rabies that would spread. I doubt it would be recognized at first so there would be many humans infected. If a wild animal became infected then there could be a real rabies crisis that could potentially spread.

Is there a risk of the dog flu spreading to humans? It seems that a mutated version could spread.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/01/12/yes...mans-12411

This would be worse than a family pet giving its family the flu. At Yulin many dogs in poor conditions are in close contact with many humans. It is an ideal breeding ground for viral mutations. If the flu was ever spread from dogs to humans at Yulin it would travel far as people return home from the festival. It is a disaster waiting to happen. All it needs is the wrong mutation of the flu, one that infects dogs and humans. Flu epidemics have a way of becoming  global and they do kill.
I think the whole world has a right to object to Yulin on this grounds alone. It puts us all at risk of a major flu pandemic.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine