Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Escaped pet parrots now native to 23 US states.
It is hard to believe how many places in the USA have established parrot populations. Escaped or released pet parrots have established themselves in many big cities. They are not all the same species and in some cases there are more of a species established in an American city than there are in their native habitat. That makes these strange guest populations crucial to the survival of a species.
In the summer they live off the land  and in the winter they live off of bird feeders. They are  not competing with the wild birds in the countryside. They are their own unique bird populations.

https://phys.org/news/2019-05-pet-parrot...tates.html

There are people studying the parrots now and it is interesting to learn what they have found out about the parrots. 
They have seen 56 parrot species in 43 states. Twenty-five  of the species are established and breeding in 23 different states. Like other types of birds their numbers are declining, but they are still firmly established in their "new" home.

I love the little monk parrots pictured. I have never actually seen one up close. They are brave little birds to settle in and raise babies in a strange place with a different climate than what they are used to. I suppose this is adapting and surviving at its best. I hope they continue to thrive.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine