Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can still be shocked
Sometimes I think I have heard it all and nothing can shock me. I guess I am wrong.

A woman pushed her own dog in the water and watched it drown.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/16/us/new-ha...index.html

A hunter fed live fox cubs to his dogs and shockingly was given a suspended sentence and is not banned from owning animals.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho...53961.html

A  teenager abused an emu causing it much pain and distress.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-13/t...y/11206458

What is the matter with people. Have they no empathy at all?

I overheard two people talking on the bus. They were right behind me and talking loudly. The young guy was describing eating frog legs at a restaurant. Then he said "The best part is the frog is still alive on the plate watching you eat his legs"
I turned and looked and he looked like a normal person. 

How can people who appear to be normal have such a total lack of  any compassion, empathy or any shred of human decency?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(06-19-2019, 03:55 PM)Catherine Wrote: What is the matter with people. Have they no empathy at all?

I overheard two people talking on the bus. They were right behind me and talking loudly. The young guy was describing eating frog legs at a restaurant. Then he said "The best part is the frog is still alive on the plate watching you eat his legs"
I turned and looked and he looked like a normal person. 

How can people who appear to be normal have such a total lack of  any compassion, empathy or any shred of human decency?

Your questions are urgent and to the point. One of the hardest things on this planet is sharing space with those who have little or no compassion or empathy. The trauma created by the worst cases of cruelty means that those who have suffered severely need initial trauma support after they have passed over. It is a terrible thing.

Ultimately, those who have inflicted severe suffering needlessly, consciously, will not be punished by some divine force. Rather, they have to face up to the suffering they have imposed deliberately on earth - by returning to live a new life where they have to experience the sort of life lived by the being they have previously hurt. For example, the person feeding fox cubs alive to hunt dogs might come back as a fox. S/he might not necessarily have to suffer a similar fate. Often, just living such a life is enough to give insight.

Thus such souls get to learn the hard way. It can be hard, but the lessons of compassion and love must be learned, one way or another. Earth school is tough.

But I understand and agree totally, Catherine. To even hear about, let alone watch, unspeakable acts of cruelty is shocking and at times difficult to bear.
I can only hope that these people do learn. They can't stay the way they are and they have such a long way to go  before they have empathy and compassion for the rest of life on Earth. The way they are now is having a negative impact on the whole planet. They move us away from the good by their actions.

I was stunned by the deliberateness of the cruelty. These people have chosen to commit acts that are shocking.
They are in no way sorry for what they did. It is going to take some pretty hard lessons to reach them.
The guy on the bus bothered me because I was there in person hearing him speak. He was also talking about eating a live frog in a Toronto restaurant. I know that there are some restaurants like that here. I don't know which ones. So at any given time an unspeakable act of cruelty might be going on in my own city. It is hard to know that. I can fight against it if I get a chance, but often cruelty like this is kept well hidden. I might walk past a restaurant and have no idea what is happening there. It is a troubling thought.
Catherine

Yes, deeply troubling. It is even hard for me to read what you have written and not get upset. How can we humans be so dense, so cruel, so lacking in empathy? We claim to be intelligent, but intelligence is sadly morally neutral. For example, the splitting of the atom led to cancer treatments, etc....but also to nuclear weapons. Industrial development has led to wonderful inventions, but also to climate change and awful pollution.

As I have said many times, we are not superior to animals. It is better to live a life full of respect and love than to be massively intelligent and have little or no love and compassion for others.

As for those eating frogs alive and actually *enjoying* the experience, their souls are in jeopardy. Later on, they will have to "look at themselves in the mirror"....That will be the hardest thing they have ever done.
You are so right. Every great thing we have invented has a positive effect and a negative one. We can't seem to create things that are only for good. Even medicines we produce to cure things also have serious side effects.

I agree with you that we are not superior to animals. We have more intelligence in some ways, but we have less wisdom. 
No matter how much we have, many of us are not happy. We don't know how to live simply and enjoy life and still do good things for others. Animals know how to live and be content with life. People would do well to study animals if they want to know how to live. Think of how a dog approaches a simple walk. It is probably the same walk he took yesterday and the same walk he will take tomorrow. A dog will still treat that walk as an adventure every time and step out with tail wagging and nose ready to sniff. I feed the guinea pigs the same thing every day. The pellets and hay are the same. Their plates of vegetables are usually exactly the same. They show the same level of excitement and enthusiasm for the meal every day. I have seen humans in a fine restaurant with a truly amazing meal who act bored with it and unsatisfied.
Hamsters know how to live happier lives than we do.

I am troubled by the casual attitude to eating a live animal. I had trouble believing what I was hearing and believing that it could be said the way it was. It must do something to a person's spirit when they take part in such bizarre cruelty.
It is troubling to think that I might be sitting next to someone like that on the bus and not know it. 
I am careful and look up a restaurant before I agree to go to it. I don't know what I would do if I encountered people eating live animals in a restaurant. I wouldn't stay, but what would I do or say before I leave. That is a question I can't answer. What should I do?
Catherine

That's a hard question. My personal reaction would probably be to leave quickly, paying for what I had already eaten or ordered and never go back. I would then send a letter or email to the management, pointing out that animal cruelty is a major issue for many people, that custom would be lost as a result, and urging that such live food be no longer permitted in the restaurant. In the event of a dismissive reply (or no reply at all), I would leave reviews on websites pointing out that animals are eaten alive at that restaurant.

That would be my response. I wouldn't get involved in a shouting match at the restaurant. That might be counterproductive. Better to point to the risk of severe loss of customers if the practice continues.

Of course, that is just my personal view. Others might wish to make some other sort of response. It is for each individual to decide what seems the best course of action in such circumstances.
It made me feel sick reading this.
I am still upset about the guy on the bus. He was in my neighbourhood.
Catherine