Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do captive raised Monarch Butterflies migrate
A researcher studying Monarch Butterflies has made an interesting discovery that might effect how we help Monarchs in future. Captive raised Monarchs didn't show migrating behavior. The numbers observed were small so she cautioned us that the results were inconclusive. However another Monarch researcher agrees with the observation.

Raising Monarchs in captivity does have an effect. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/monar...-1.5189550

There are people out there who collect caterpillars or chrysalids and bring them in and raise them. This is being done to help the species survive and to increase their numbers. The intentions are good and people are being very careful to do it right. However, if the Monarchs don't migrate they wouldn't survive the winter and they would not contribute to the future generations of  Monarchs. This could be a case of people wanting to help, but what they do has the wrong effect.

One thought that occurs to me is the conditions inside vs outside for the chrysalis. Inside the temperature would be pretty steady. Outside in the fall the temperature drops at night. A chrysalis exposed to a drop in temperature at night might emerge programed to migrate. Summer Chrysalids with warm night temperatures don't migrate. If that is the reason then captive raised butterflies could be exposed to natural  temperatures and they would be normal for the time of the season they hatch in. 

I did come across a chrysalis in the shelter garden when I was cleaning up in the fall. I leave most of the garden intact and I left the chrysalis alone. I have wondered if I should have brought it in and now I think I did the right thing.

I think when we want to help animals we would be better to help their environment and let them do their own living.
Not all help is helpful.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That idea of yours makes a good deal of sense, Catherine. You could have hit on the reason.
Have you thought of sharing that idea with Monarch Survival programs? At the very least it could be experimented with. It could be a very valuable clue !
The problem as far as I know it, is that the people bringing the chrysalids in are working on their own. I don't think they are part of a program. Monarch survival programs encourage the planting of milkweed and other pollinator friendly plants.
I have never read anything about collecting chrysalids. I can't see any reason why you would collect them. They do just fine in the wild. What we do need to do is protect their habitat. 

I think the idea of collecting the chrysalids  is just some idea someone got and it has spread.
If they do more research and determine that captive raised monarchs don't migrate then they may be able to stop the collecting of chrysalids.

I have never felt comfortable with the idea. Anyone I have met who is doing it, is not trained or really knowledgeable about butterflies. This may be another case of human help doing more harm than good.

I am going to do a little searching and see if I can find out more about chrysalis collection. Someone had to have started the idea.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine