Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police officer who ran over deer repeatedly will not be charged
Back in the winter we did a thread about this. A deer was hit by a vehicle and was badly injured. A police officer arrived on scene and determined the deer needed to be euthanized. He then drove  his vehicle back and forth over the deer many times. The deer screamed in pain and struggled. It was obviously in pain and tried desperately to escape. 

The officer may have thought he could kill the deer humanely with his vehicle, but after several times running it over, kit was obvious that he was making it worse. That didn't stop him. He kept up his cruel actions until the deer finally died.

The video of this went viral. I have seen it and it is terrible. It was an act of cruelty that went on and on.

So the consequences for the officer? None! Not a thing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/l...-1.5191134

I question whether someone with such poor judgement should even be a police officer.
He clearly had no idea what to do in the situation. The idea he came up with was cruel in nature and when it didn't work he should have stopped and tried something else. He should have stopped when the deer started screaming in pain. It is unbelievable that he is still a police officer and there have been no consequences.

Who do you call to report animal cruelty to when the  animal abuser is a police officer?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

From the article:

There was no protocol in place requiring police to contact a vet to deal with injured wildlife. While it could have been done in theory, the practicality of sorting out an out-call to get a vet to a scene late at night "is not quite as easy as it sounds," the investigation found.

What's so difficult? There are always out-of-hours vets on call. He didn't even try.
Quote:What's so difficult? There are always out-of-hours vets on call. He didn't even try.
This happened in southern Alberta. There are farm vets all around who would be prepared to euthanize an injured farm animal on an emergency basis. Taking care of a deer wouldn't have been difficult for them. The officer also had a gun. It could have been used. The officer did not seem to know what to do.  I really think he showed poor judgement. Even if he wasn't charged, I question his fitness to be a police officer and carry a gun. 

I don't know if the deer was fatally injured in the first place. He should have made some phone calls and got appropriate help to deal with the deer.
Catherine

TBH, only a vet would be qualified to say whether the deer was so badly injured as to necessitate euthanisation. This police officer is not medically qualified to make that judgment.
I think the fact that the deer lasted so long and struggled to get up and tried to get away, might be an indication that it was not fatally injured. It tried so hard to get away from the car that kept running over him.
You are right, the police officer was not qualified to make a decision like that.
Catherine