Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People in Florida are encouraged to kill iguanas
I know iguanas are an invasive species in Florida. They can also grow quite large. Admittedly 5 foot vegetation eating lizard can do a lot of damage.
That being said, they are still living creatures who did not ask to be where they are in Florida. If the are loose in Florida it is because we let them loose. Since it is our fault we need to find a more humane solution to the iguana problem.

https://people.com/pets/florida-fish-and...l-iguanas/

I am trying to picture how people would go about killing an iguana and it is not a pretty picture. Whatever they do it is going to be cruel. Few people would know how to safely and humanely kill an iguana.

Why can't we round them up and set them up in pens or return them to their native land. Any iguanas I know are sweet and loveable. Even the wild ones are beautiful and we should protect them from abuse.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's horrible I don't know what to say.
I just keep thinking of the beautiful iguanas that I know. The though of anyone wanting to kill an iguana just makes me feel sick. It will be done with cruelty and violence. None of these people would know how to humanely kill an animal.

I wish they could arrange a rescue where they round up the iguanas and take them to a reptile sanctuary. Of first we need a reptile sanctuary.
Catherine

I had a friend of a friend that is actually tasked with euthanizing the iguanas. He hates it and knows that some are escaped pets. The really sweet ones he sends out of state to a buddy and he finds homes for them.
I am glad someone who cares is there. He can't save them all, but at least the escaped pets should be given a chance.
Some didn't escape. They were turned loose, sometimes by a parent who no longer wants the child's pet around.
None of these iguanas asked to be in this situation. I hope they are at least humane when they kill them.
Catherine