Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pets killed by burst steam pipe
A couple went out for breakfast and left their pets in the bedroom. A steam pipe burst and they were scalded to death. It was a horrible death. If the couple had been home and still in bed they would have been killed too.
They are suing the rental company. They did lose everything and their pets suffered.
Weirdly, the rental company is countersuing for damages to the apartment caused by the burst pipe.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/co...-1.5294572

It is a horrible accident or it is a case of bad maintenance on the part of the rental company. It may not be possible to tell.
Certainly the couple deserves something. I can't believe the company is countersuing. It seems harsh and callous.
This couple has lost so much and the company wants to take more from them. Would they sue their estate if the couple had been killed?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a horrible death for that poor dog and cat. It's really very sad. My deepest condolences to the couple, who must be heartbroken.

What I don't get is -how could a pipe freeze when it had enough searing hot water in it to cause the deaths of those animals? It doesn't make enough sense to me....
Quote: What I don't get is -how could a pipe freeze when it had enough searing hot water in it to cause the deaths of those animals? It doesn't make enough sense to me....
Very good point. Cold water pipes freeze and then when they thaw they leak. I think the pipe could have ruptured somehow. It might be an old pipe or the system might be badly maintained. It could even have been a joint or a valve that gave out.  I hope the company inspects the heating pipes for the whole building. I think it is the rental companies responsibility. I hope they do compensate the couple. It won't bring their pets back or ease the pain of such a horrible accident, but it will help them to replace lost property. 

Maybe it is not safe to leave animals shut in one room. They had no way to escape. I know there are lots of reasons to leave animals shut in one room. Of course the whole apartment might have filled with steam if the door had been open. It really was lucky the couple wasn't killed too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine