Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large dog to be euthanized for killing small dog
According to Montreal bylaws, if a dog kills another dog it is euthanized.
A small dog ran at a larger dog and the larger dog grabbed it. The little dog died from the injuries.
It is sad for the little dog's owner. The owner of the large dog doesn't want to lose her dog because of this.
Her only hope is to get an injunction and try and get the city to review the circumstances that led to the incident.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-wom...-1.4623399

This is a situation where nobody wins. Nothing will bring the little dog back.
The purpose of the bylaw is to protect the public from dangerous dogs. Is the shepherd a dangerous dog? 
It responded to a stressful situation. 

Montreal in understandably nervous about dog attacks of any kind. There have been incidents.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/...-1.3623763

Sadly this incident took a human life and resulted in a pit bull ban that took many dog lives.

I can see the difference between the two incidents. Clearly the pit bull was an aggressor that attacked and killed the woman in her own yard. The shepherd was responding to a small dog attack.
I don't know what the city will do or if there is any chance for an injunction. I am not sure I know enough about dogs to know what should be done. I know the woman loves her dog and doesn't want to lose it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is sad.
Every incident isn't going to be the same, though. With dogs there can also be "accidents" where a tiny dog might end up being killed by a large dog even when they are just playing!
It seems maybe the small dog here should have been restrained from lunging at the big one. If it had been this would not have happened apparently.
Just because a dog is small doesn't mean it should be allowed to attack another.

A dog doesn't think how large or small it is. The large one was just responding to the attack but was too strong and  big for that to end well.
Quote:It seems maybe the small dog here should have been restrained from lunging at the big one. If it had been this would not have happened apparently.

Just because a dog is small doesn't mean it should be allowed to attack another.
I have noticed a number of small dogs acting as aggressors towards big dogs. Often people with cute little dogs don't seem to train their dogs or in any way control them. This is the other side of it. Should it be allowed that a little dog can attack anyone dog or human and get away with it.
The shepherd is under a death sentence because it is a big dog. I wonder if the response would be the same if it had been a smaller dog. Of course incidents between large dogs and small dogs usually end in the death of the small dog. The big dog doesn't have to do too much to seriously or fatally injure a small dog. 
That brings us back to why do people with small dogs let them run up to large dogs. It isn't going to end well.

I feel sorry for the shepherd. I don't think he is a dangerous or aggressive dog.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine