Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reptile Room Updates
Saphira is certainly comfortable sitting on you. She is so tame, she must have been handled a lot when she was young.
Someone must have really cared for her.

Does she have full movement of her leg? Even if it looks different, if she has full function and it doesn't hurt her then she should be fine. Reptiles seem to tolerate things we would have trouble with. My Knight Anole is missing his back legs at the knee and he gets around his tank just fine. You should see him hunting crickets. 

I will be interested to hear what your vet thinks.

So you have Lowes stores too. I have bought plants from their nursery for the shelter garden.
What plants did you get? The set up should look really interesting with live plants. I look forward to seeing pictures.
Mostly I use silk plants because I have skinks and they burrow and destroy the roots of the plants. I should try again with  pothos plants. They are pretty hardy.

I love it when I get plants on sale. I end up buying two because  the price is right. 
A bigger one for the price of a small one is a great bargain.

Keep me posted.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It has been quite a day. Whew. I took KK (sun conure) and Saphira (water dragon) to the vet. 3 hours later and $244 KK got emergency groomed after she caught her nail in her carrier and nearly pulled her nail off but she was way over due anyway. She is improving so much since I brought her in last. Her beak is better, her feather color is coming out more, her skin isn't as flaky, She still has a way to go but looking back at pictures especially of her beak you can tell how much healthier she is now. She also gained weight like she needed to. A little concern about a potential infection so we are pre treating with antibiotics for that but over all she's doing fantastic since I took over ownership. Which I'm so thankful I'm able to do. I take in a lot of sick animals and I start to feel like all I do is kill them, even though I know it's not me it's just the crappy situation.
So Saphira also got her first check up. It's looking like she's got a rough road ahead. That hip joint is dislocated like I thought. If you've ever had a dislocated shoulder you'll know the pain poor Saphira is going though. I've heard it feels like pins and needles. But it might not be horrible bad... Sooo she has mouth rot, missing her top front teeth, a little stuck shed in places and her growth has been stunted. BUT since she's been stunted it might work out in her favor because once we get her the antibiotics to treat the mouth rot, she might have parasites so we are treating that with dewormer just in case, and I get to let her swim to help with dehydration. After all that is taken care of she should go through a growth spurt. So if we can successfully get a splint on the dislocated leg her growth spurt could heal the leg on it's own which seems like great news compared to surgery. I'm so glad I took her to the vet now instead of waiting!

I'll post pics of the plants in Saphira's enclosure tomorrow and go though what they are. Right now all I can remember is 3 Brom... and 1 Crot... is how the names start. Catherine you might know what they are from that little bit. We have a Lowes, Home Depot, and a Walmart all within 2 minutes of each other so I figured one had to have a least something and I got lucky at Lowes and didn't have to go to the others.

I also ran over and killed a raccoon this morning on the way to work so I'm just spent on everything. I cried and went back to make sure I got it off the road and that it was indeed dead. I just couldn't stand for it to get hit repeatedly plus we have turkey vultures that I know will clean up so I wanted to make sure they didn't get hurt trying to eat either. Circle of life I guess, it just sucks.
I am sorry about the raccoon. Even if you couldn't help it you always feel bad when something like that happens.

I didn't realize KK was having so much trouble. You will be glad when she is finally well and looks her best. If her beak needed work then she would have had trouble eating and must have been a little off in her nutrition. No wonder she needed to gain weight. 

I hear you about rescuing things and having them die. One beardie I brought home was dead in the morning. I never even got to name him. When you take in injured and neglected animals you know they are not all going to make it. It is just  that sometimes you lose a number of animals in a row before you have someone survive. Sometimes they are just too far gone to save.

Ouch. A dislocated leg. I hope it can be put back. Saphira will feel so much better and will do so much better. Does the vet think she will end up with full function in her leg? The swimming will be good for her. It will strengthen her leg as it hydrates her. It will definitely help with the stuck shed. Mouth rot is a problem, but as she gets healthier she should recover from it. She is lucky she is with you.
You will get her healthy and strong and then you can see her grow.

I know what plants you mean. They are good choices for a water dragon enclosure. I don't know which specific plant species you have, but they are all beautiful plants. You dragon will love them.

You have most of the same stores. You just don't have a Canadian Tire Store. They are a big hardware chain that can be found right across Canada. We don't have Target stores  so it balances.
Catherine

https://imgur.com/gallery/W4inD37
^The promised pictures^

Found out Saphira is not a huge fan of free swimming today. I’ll work with her more but I filled up a 20 gallon tall fish tank stuck a turtle ramp in and tried to sit her climb to the side which she held on for a second but then just stayed on my arm. So I tried slowly lowering her in (I warmed it up using an instant pot sous vide (closeout where I work $30 originally $100.) to heat the water to 95°F. I amaze myself at my ingenious sometimes. I use the sous vide to warm frozen thawed rats for the snakes. I’ll try just sitting with her tomorrow just next to it. I was able to dip her in and she just clung to my hand the whole time and jumped back to her enclosure after Scurrying up my shoulder. I didn’t want to push it since it’s so new to her. She did seem to like it from sitting on my hand. There was just a lot of in and out of the room before and she was keyed up by the dogs playing. They get locked out of the room tomorrow.

KK isn’t horrible just some minor things that needed to change from when my aunt still had her. She just didn’t research much and didn’t take her to the vet. She took her to the groomer but not the vet in at least 9 years. So I definitely wanted to take her because I Knew she needed some help. One more molt and she should be nearly perfect health for a 13 year old sun Conure. I want to get as many years from her as I can.

I think I’m turning Kasey. Saphira is really showing personality today. I went in the reptile room tonight after lights off to adjust a security camera I have in there to a spot where I could see the whole room. Like if I’m away and the plug app tells me something didn’t turn on then I can see at least with lights if they are on or if a light it out. I’ve really reached a new level of pet ownership I think. I have back up and checks for everything. Moving on. I was up on the ladder adjusting the wires when she came running from the far side of the enclosure to where I was and was jumping and leaping to get to me. So I went over to unzip and showed her my arm. She climbed up to my shoulder and just chilled for a while. I walked downstairs and she got scared when the dogs started to play. I had to take her back because she kept leaping onto the couch and trying to take off. I was able to catch her every time but it was not fun for either of us. The dogs were clueless.

I bonded really hard with the vet over how we use our temperature guns to check all the temperatures on everything. Like carry it around temping the whole house.
I carry my temp gun around sometimes. I have even taken it to work to prove that a place is too cold. If I have a reptile outside I use it to make sure the reptile doesn't get chilled or over heated.

I like the idea of a video camera. You will be able to check on things and be sure everything is okay. Reptile owners worry.
Saphira really is bonded to people. She loves being on you. Now she has to get used to the dogs. She will in time.

She must not have had a proper tank for swimming as she was growing up. Usually water dragons naturally take to water and can sit all day in their water tank. You are going to have to teach her to swim. Once she feels safe with the water she should start to love it.
All the water dragons I have known were great swimmers. The reptile centre had a big male who would get out of his tank and we would find him in one of the big fish tanks. He really loved a good swim. I am sure Saphira will become a good swimmer in time.

I was right about which croton you bought. Those ones are nice for the lizard and they are very attractive. Saphira can sit on the leaves
safely. The bromeliads are good. The leaves are strong enough for a lizard and they will like the humidity. Saphira is one lucky lizard.

I am glad KK is not too bad. A good molt and you will be knee deep in feathers but your bird will look good. How do birds have so many feathers when they are molting. I just have two tiny canaries and a budgie. It is like a feathery snow storm if even one is molting. If two are molting it is a feather blizzard.
Catherine