Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life time ban on owning animals in Milk River abuse case
The Milk River abuse case became public when 200 animals were removed from a southern Alberta farm. In Dec 2014 and January 2015 over 200 dogs were removed from April Irving's property. The dogs were hungry and dehydrated and in terrible condition. There were a number of dead dogs, including new born puppies that were frozen solid.
Irving was charged with animal cruelty, but the charges were reduced when she pleaded guilty. What she faces now is a fine under the Animal Protection Act. The judge however also imposed a lifetime ban on owning animals in Alberta.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/woman-charged...-1.4715749

This was not the first time Irving had problems with too many dogs. She had trouble in Saskatchewan.
She may not have intended for things to get so bad, but she was not able to care for the numbers of dogs she had.
While she was hoarding them the dogs were not able to get help elsewhere. It was irresponsible to keep so many dogs.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new...-that-size

People really responded and the dogs were cared for and homes were found for them. The story of their return to health and happiness has really touched people.  The story of the dogs has been made into a documentary. It is a story with a happy ending as the dogs all recovered and found new lives.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche...-1.3960441

With the lifetime ban hopefully this will not happen again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's hard to watch things like this happening.
This lady has "form" - once in Saskatchewan, now in Alberta. Yet the ban on owing animals seems to apply only in Alberta. So she could go back to doing the same somewhere else. It is pity that the ban could not be nationwide, but maybe Canadian law does not permit that?
Quote:This lady has "form" - once in Saskatchewan, now in Alberta. Yet the ban on owing animals seems to apply only in Alberta. So she could go back to doing the same somewhere else. It is pity that the ban could not be nationwide, but maybe Canadian law does not permit that?
She was banned under provincial laws. The judge did the maximum he was able to do. His jurisdiction does not extend beyond the Alberta border. 
So yes, she could do this again somewhere else.  I doubt she has the financial resources to move. If she does then we need to watch her where ever she goes. She could be stopped much sooner.  Animal services people could check on her and intervene much sooner.
I think she ended up in trouble long before she had 200 dogs.
Catherine

Yes I remember that case. It was harrowing and horrible.
The strangest thing is people like April Irving are incapable of knowing the results of their actions. It's an incredible mental blindness. Well, most likely mental illness. Her "love" or whatever she feels it is, has caused such suffering to othersl.

The only sensible sentence is not to be able to keep animals any more.

I can only hope she doesn't move outside Alberta in  her lifetime.
Quote:The strangest thing is people like April Irving are incapable of knowing the results of their actions. It's an incredible mental blindness. Well, most likely mental illness. Her "love" or whatever she feels it is, has caused such suffering to others.
She actually believes she is helping the animals. It is a misguided caring. If she took in a dog or two they would be fine. She could give them a good life. She just kept taking in more animals and letting them have puppies so the numbers grew. 

Banning her for life was the only way to stop her from doing it again. She can't go back to Saskatchewan. I don't think she can afford to move very far. Since she is now publicly known it would be hard for her to start keeping dogs. She would be reported very quickly.

I guess it is a form of mental illness. Hoarders and animals hoarders are unable to see how they really live. They are unable to see the condition of their homes and the condition of their pets. I wonder if anyone is studying this issue? I will see if I can find something on animal hoarders.
Catherine