Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man registers a bee hive as an emotional support animal
No he doesn't see his bee hive as an emotional support animal. He did it to prove a point. It is too easy to register any animal as an emotional support animal. There is a lack of oversight and standards. All you did is fill our a form on a web site. So out there right now are many animals that people are calling emotional support animals. They get all the benefits and rights of a trained service dog, but they are just someone's pet. Many times they are badly trained pets.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6282569/bee-e...rt-animal/

Registering the bees was funny is some ways, bit it is also worrying. It should not have been possible to register them.
All these untrained pets out there claiming service dog status, puts at risk the rights of real service dogs.

Service dogs are trained and tested before they ever work with someone with special needs. Even as puppies they are fostered with people who prepare them for a life of service. When they are older they are retired and live out their lives in peace. These are working dogs and they deserve our respect and any special rights that we can give them.

Bratty untrained pets that have somehow gotten certified are not the same thing. We might feel that a pet is an emotional support and in many ways they are. That does not make them a therapy pet. If nothing is done to regulate this situation then actual service dogs are going to suffer the backlash against this whole "service animal" craze. I see dogs in service dog vests that clearly have no special training. They are not even well trained as an ordinary pet. I don't know how this can be regulated, but something has to be done.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

To a great extent, all our animals are "emotional support" animals, where there is love anyway. They help us feel better, happier, stronger, more able to cope. And they most often feel the same way about us.

But I have to agree with you Catherine.
There are trained dogs for instance who work with retired military personnel, who are suffering extreme PTSD. Those are "emotional support" animals, as are those who help and support those with anxiety, depression, or autism, etc. But they are trained service dogs in most cases.

I did hear of a case where the dog was not a trained service dog, and was an incredible support to a little boy with autism, helping him to come out of his shell. A book was written about it: "Cowboy and Wills" by Monica Holloway. That was a case of Love, not of a trained dog.

There are probably many other cases  where the love of an animal helps and heals someone.

But I can see how this could be abused, perhaps without that intent by the person registering their animal. To them, the animal helps them emotionally, but a "Service Dog" is something else.

These applications can minimise the work of a true Service animal, I think.
Quote: These applications can minimise the work of a true Service animal, I think.
This is the whole point of why he registered his bees. All our pets are a support for us and us for them.
Trained dogs are something else again. They are taught to use telephones to get help and to warn people of seizures about to happen.
These trained dogs are working dogs and they take their work seriously. They deserve special considerations and privileges. 

Pets that make us feel good are not the same thing.
If nothing is done to regulate things then real working dogs are going to find it harder to get respect and to do their jobs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine