Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Australian bushfire update
The fires are still raging and it is estimated that half a billion animals have died. It could be years, if ever, before the animal populations recover. Few injured animals are being rescued because the destruction is so complete.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news...n-21186998

I can't comprehend the idea that half a billion animals have died. It is just too big. The horror of such a loss is beyond anything we can imagine. Half a billion animals gone and the fires are still burning.  If anyone doubts the impact of climate change now they are just being intentionally stupid. We have caused this terrible tragedy by our careless misuse of our planet.  I don't know if things can be fixed anymore. Certainly for the half a billion dead animals there is no fixing things. Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

A lot of our New Year fireworks were cancelled I have family and friends that are in dangerous areas.
I can understand cancelling fireworks. It is not just the danger. It seems odd to be celebrating with fire when so much of the country is burnt or under threat of fire.  I hope everyone you know comes thought this safely. I hope all the fire fighters are safe. It is heroic work they do.  We are all grieving for what your country has lost.
Catherine

The more I read the more I know we are looking at a global tragedy unfolding. Whole species could be gone forever when the fires have stopped. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...extinction

It is hard to picture what recovery will look like in the fire ravaged areas. So much is gone, both plants and animals. The land will try to recover, but somethings are probably gone. If the seeds have been destroyed then some plants cannot return. If there are none of a species left or very few then they cannot return.

This is the face of climate change and it is not pretty.
Catherine

500 Million animals livestock,pets and wildlife have died.
I know the numbers. When I think about the individual animals trapped in the fire I feel sick. When I think about the enormous loss of so many animals I am overwhelmed with grief. I admit I feel annoyed at people who are whining about things like their coffee not being hot enough. This is a tragedy that should touch all of us. We are all responsible for it. Climate change and its consequences are the result of all our actions now and in the past. We don't have time for trivial complaints. We need to act to stop things from getting worse. 

We thought the Amazon rainforest burning was the worst thing possible. Now we know there is much worse.
Catherine

When western Canada was in need because of our terrible fires, Australia sent help. So now it is our turn to send help back to Australia. Trained Canadian fire personnel from across the country have volunteered to serve in Australia. Some are there already and some are on their way.

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/cana...-of-monday

Fires like this have become a global issue and we are going to need to respond on a global scale. It is just fortunate that our fire seasons are at opposite times of the year so we can help each other. If the planet continues to burn we may need to create a global fire team that can be deployed anywhere anytime. The fact that their equipment is the same means they can already work together as a team.
Catherine