Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hibernation Project
The Hibernation Project is part of an effort to restore Massasuaga Rattle Snakes to southern Ontario. There might be as few as 12 left and they need help. Artificial hibernation chambers have been set up for the snakes. It is essential that they be able to hibernate.
To test out the chambers they have used Eastern Garter Snakes. They are monitoring them carefully and they will be returned to their
capture point in the spring.
Next winter they will attempt to relocate the Massasuaga Rattle snakes by having them winter in the artificial chambers. In the spring they will emerge in the new location and hopefully settle in and repopulate the area. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/m...-1.5438782

I am impressed by how carefully they are approaching this project. They are not just moving the snakes and hoping for the best. They are making sure that they have a way of surviving at the new site. They are being carefully with the test snakes and will return them unharmed to their normal location.

Relocation animals is always tricky. Reptiles are especially difficult to relocate. Many have a hibernation requirement so the new area has to have a suitable hibernation site. The snakes have to know how to find that site. Having them hibernate and release from the site should solve the relocation issues. Some might even be born in the new site and for them it will be home. I really hope this works.
The Massasuaga Rattle snakes were part of a healthy ecosystem. For it to stay healthy the area needs Massasuagas.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes this seems like a carefully thought out project. I hope it works. Good luck, snakes!
Perhaps starting them off in the hibernation area will help, as maybe they will remember where they came from, so to speak, when the winter comes back? Many animals have a memory for those kinds of things.
What do you think, Catherine?
I imagine they are not bringing them from too far away. So it is possible that some would return to their old sites. However, if they emerge from the new hibernation chamber and find a habitat that works for them, they could stay in the area and feed. When the fall would bring cooler weather they could return to the new hibernation chamber. 
They are not sure what the snakes will do. that is why they are doing this so carefully. Some of the snakes could stay in the area. Even one breeding pair would make a difference.

https://ontarionature.org/programs/citiz...assasauga/

They give live birth in late summer so any babies born in an area would need to hibernate there. Getting even a few to relocate would help increase the numbers and introduce some genetic diversity. It is an interesting project and it could work. If it does then they can use what they have learned to help relocate other snake species. 

I am thinking the snakes would stay where they emerged from hibernation. That would be the ideal.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine