Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SynFrog, the solution to the high school dissection dilemma
For generations high school biology classes forced students to dissect frogs and other animals. For many students this was too much and many dropped out of biology classes and turned away from careers in science and health care. We really can't afford to be killing frogs like that either. It also teaches a lack of empathy for living creatures.
They have now created a synthetic frog that can be used to teach anatomy without the necessity of taking an animal's life.
This will solve the ethical dilemma for the students and stop the killing of frogs.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sci...issections

There is no need to be killing animals, especially endangered ones to teach biology. Synthetic models are quite effective.
During my last CPR/First Aid training we were being taught how to deal with an amputated hand(or other body part).
Obviously we couldn't use a real hand. They had a synthetic hand that was so real looking that some of our staff couldn't bear to touch it. I did and I think I am ready to deal with the real thing if I ever encounter that kind of accident. For the purposes of training synthetic models are quite good. So it is time we stopped the barbaric practice of killing hundreds of frogs just so students can feel sick about dissecting them.

They could come up with synthetic models of all kinds of things. There is no need to use animals for training purposes. Much of the training we use animals for would work just as well with synthetic models. They could use it for military medical training. They still use live pigs. Synthetic human examples would be more effective. I trained on a synthetic CPR model that had a heart beat and a pulse and could even be put into a heart attack state so that I had to maintain  chest compressions until a defibrillator could be brought in and used. That was as real as it needed to be.  It was as scary as if it was the real thing. However it was hooked up to a computer so I could see the results.
Synthetic models work just fine.
So let's stop the senseless killing of animals when there is a perfectly good alternative.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine