Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imported puppy dies days after arrival
A woman in Ontario wanted a particular type of puppy. She searched she found an online site that sold her a puppy to be flown in from South Korea. The puppy was supposed to travel with someone and not be shipped in the cargo hold of the plane. She paid $3000.00 for the puppy.
He was fine at first and then within days the puppy was seriously ill. Even with treatment he didn't make it.
The puppy was younger than they thought so he was separated from his mother too soon. He also was probably alone and uncared for in the cargo hold the whole trip. That is too long for a young puppy.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman...-1.4789370

Very likely the puppy came from a puppy mill. Since profit is their motive, selling a too young puppy would not bother them. Shipping in the cargo hold is cheaper. There is no way a puppy mill would send a person with the puppy on such a long and expensive flight.
Return airfare is probably more than the cost of the puppy. 

Buying animals online can be a problem. There is no way to check out the breeder and be sure that it is not a puppy mill. Buying a puppy that way just encourages puppy mills to stay in business. When you buy that way you have no way of knowing that you are getting what you paid for. It might not have been a toy poodle. If it had lived it might have been a bigger dog. I have heard of people buying a hairless cat over the internet only to have the cats fur grow back. The cat had been shaved.

Buying animals online encourages things like this. Better to adopt a loveable dog from an animal shelter. She might even have found a poodle if she had searched a number of shelters. At least she would have a healthy happy pet now instead of a large vets bill and a broken heart.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I blame the woman as much as the breeders anyone with any sense wouldn't buy a puppy that way,she was more interested in a particular breed,adopt don't shop.
Quote:I blame the woman as much as the breeders anyone with any sense wouldn't buy a puppy that way,she was more interested in a particular breed,adopt don't shop.
I agree with you. She had a puppy shipped from south Korea to Ontario. That is a very long journey for a very young puppy.
She should have done better research about the place selling puppies. It is a puppy mill. No small local breeder would ship  a puppy so far.
She lives in Ontario. There are a number of shelters that had puppies this summer. There are often pure breed dogs as well. If she really wanted a poodle one of the shelters would have had one sometime soon.

She could have contacted the kennel club and found a local breeder if she really had to have a poodle.

Adopting a shelter dog would have cost less and would have been a happy experience.
Catherine

Catslave is spot on about this. There is no shortage of homeless dogs in Canada, including toy poodles.
This poor little pup must have been terrified, and shouldn't have been taken from its mother. Bless its Soul.

I HATE this terrible, greedy, cruel puppy mill trade!

People out there....PLEASE do not buy pedigree pups unless you know exactly which breeder they come from, know the breeder or are aware of their business, and know that they operate humanely and professionally. Check them out first.

A photo of a woman's hands holding a sweet pup is not enough, even if the photo background looks like someone's living room ! People are well-versed in  presenting these pups as family-born....may even show pictures of the so-called "mother" and "sire". There are literally millions of stock photos of dogs and dogs with pups in a family/rural /garden setting out on the internet, which they can use to con the buyers!.

Please don't buy animals from the internet. This is encouraging a highly-lucrative and wicked trade.

Go to a shelter/rescue and get a good dog from there. If a person absolutely has to have a pup, then possibly a rescue or shelter may have a waiting list for pups.
And why would you buy from overseas any way surely you could find a reputable breeder in your own country.
I know for sure there were puppies born at the shelter this summer. I saw them while I was gardening. They were so cute and full of energy. They would have been a great pet for the woman. 

I also just did a quick search for puppies available in Ontario. There are a number of sites with listings and some sound like small breeders who have one litter and the parents are pets. There were even toy poodle puppies just like hers, available locally. 
It sounds like you can go to the home, meet the parents and see the puppies with mom and take the puppy directly with no shipping involved. If the puppies are too young you can choose one and arrange to pick it up later. 
There might be some puppy mill ads on the different sites so a little research might be needed. Clearly there are puppies, even toy poodle puppies, available in Ontario.

There was no excuse for shipping a puppy from South Korea. That couldn't possibly be a good thing for the puppy. If they are shipping puppies overseas then they are clearly a puppy mill.  Small local breeders sell locally. They don't ship their puppies halfway around the world. No one could afford to send someone with the puppy on a long expensive flight and she was silly to believe that.

I wonder about the puppy. It was the size you would expect a toy poodle puppy to be, but the vet said it was much younger. So, it was probably not a toy poodle, it was a younger miniature poodle being passed off as a toy. Everything about his was wrong and now a young puppy is dead. The puppy mill will keep on breeding its dogs because people keep buying the dogs.

If it stops being profitable then they will stop doing it. We can stop puppy mills by refusing to buy from them.
Catherine